Flashing Power Light - Hot Springs Grandee

TWG1572

Fall has come, and so has the time to fire up my Grandee for the cooler weather. I filled it up today, started running it to adjust water chemistry and got the blinking red power light indicating a tripped temperature. high limit. The tub will run for 3-4 minutes after reset, then it trips again. It behaves the same if I'm just using the clean button, vs. the main jets. I've done some Googling and came up with a few troubleshooting suggestions, but would appreciate some input/thoughts on what I found.

1) Clogged filters: I pulled all five filters, fired it up, and got the flashing light in about the same amount of time.

2) Circulation pump clogged/bad. My assumption is that this is referring to the Silent Flo 5000 circulation pump, and not the jet pump? My jets run fine, even running jets 1 and 2 at once. There is a small hose that runs a stream of water into the filter compartment, that's running like normal. I have noticed I'm not getting the bubbles from the Ozone system, so maybe that's a sign. How do you check to see if the circulation pump is bad?

3) Thermisters. I've read I should check the ohm's on them. I'm not even sure where to start there - are they accessible through the filter compartment?

Any words of advice, or things I should also check? Or are these the typical three things I should look at? Thanks!

It sounds like you are on the right track with the circulation pump. You should see bubbles coming from the ozone return. No bubbles can be an indication that there is an airlock (trapped air) in the circulation pump or plumbing connected to the circulation pump. This is a common occurrence in newly filled hot tubs. This can usually be remedied by removing your filter and placing your garden hose down the stand pipe. Once the hose is in place you can turn it on full power. This should be enough pressure to push the air through the plumbing and restore flow to the ozone return. There is also the possibility your circulation pump is not functioning at all. You should be able to see if it is running by feeling it, the pump should be vibrating and warm to the touch. You may also be able to hear it running if you are up close. The water stream flowing into the filter compartment indicates your circulation pump is moving water. I hope this is helpful. If you do not have success with these steps please give us a call at Watkins Customer Service (800)999-4688 ext. 8432 we can provide contact information for your local authorized dealer.