2005 Hot Springs Prodigy Heater Cycling On And Off

I have subject spa that has started clicking erratically when the set temp is reached. All indications are normal as far as I can tell. The power on light is lit, when spa water temp gets to set point ready light comes on. The heater light on the 2020 stays on, but I think that may be just the way it works. It stays on a little longer until the cycling starts. At that point the red htr light and clicking start cycling until I set temp up or down a few degrees and it responds accordingly, until the new set point is reached and it starts again. I've checked: flow thru circ pump, seems normal but I have no way to measure. I've pulled both thermistors out to see if there might be a blockage, nothing floated out. The pressure switch doesn't seem to be part of problem or I would expect system to shut down and it doesn't. My filters are clean. I ohmed temp thermistor and reading corresponded to table I found, around 6 ohms at 100 degrees and no fluctuation. My ozonator is out of system but lines are plugged off. I've giggled all the harnesses going to the 2020 to no avail. I've tapped the relays and the control head and no change. Voltage to spa is normal.

I changed the circ pump recently as the old one shorted out. New one shorted out after a week. Coincidental, I'm not sure, but I"ve checked everything I know how to for any sort of flow restriction and have found nothing. I have another one in now and it seems to be operating ok and not overheating however, I'm not leaving spa plugged in very long with this cycling problem. Spa has done this over the last few years but to a much lesser extent and it didn't repeat as much, so I didn't give it much thought until now. Is there any history with the control head causing this type of issue? Any help appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Having exactly the same problem, any resolution?
On the pressure switch theory, why would the pressure switch cause the power relays to cycle on-off, only after it reaches the set temperature?

Mine works beautifully, until it reaches temp. Then it cycles on-off, similar to above 1-20s between on-off, with most 2-3s. I have replaced the filters, rotate and clean regularly. I can also take out, and still cycles. I have replaced the circulation pump. I have also replaced both thermistors. The repeated cycling ultimately will wear out the mechanical relays on the power board about every 6 months.

Thoughts?

I did find and fix my issue. It was the thermostat control, if that's what it's called in the control panel. That's the panel the user touches to change temp, turn on/off pump, light, etc. After changing, problem went away. It's been over 1 and a half years and working fine. It was either this or the main board, so I chose the less expensive option and it worked. good luck.

So specifically for my tub and its issue, if anybody has any thoughts/input. It is a Hotsprings (Watkins) Envoy, Model: KK, Serial KK4F1715

Mine works beautifully, until it reaches temp. Then it cycles on-off (audibly you can hear the relays on the powerboard open-closing), similar to dblee50 above cycling on-off every 1-20s, with most 2-3s. I have replaced the filters, rotate and clean regularly. I can also take out, and still cycles. I have replaced the circulation pump. I have also replaced both thermistors. The repeated cycling ultimately will wear out the mechanical relays on the power board about every 6 months. While the tub is coming up to temperature, works fine, only once it reaches temperature does the repeated cycling occur. So for the interim, I lower the set point when away. Then when I want to use, I raise to where I want it, letting it come up to temperature. Once there, again, lowering to prevent repeated cycling.

Sizelove, you likely have a control panel or temperature control thermistor that's having trouble processing/comparing temperature information. I'd recommend swapping out the thermistor first, as it's relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

I have replaced both Thermistors (item # 39204/39205) that screw into the heater as stated, which did not change the behavior at all.

To be clear, when you say replace the "control panel" you are referring to the electronics behind the temperature display, and jet control panel (item #73225)

Or are you referring to the motherboard (item # 77087)?

Thank you.

Hotsprings (Watkins) Envoy, Model: KK, Serial KK4F1715

• 1 month later...

Hot Spring Official and dblee50, Thank you both for your input, insight, and guidance. Replacing the Hot Springs Control Panel Head 73225, has fixed the problem and has been working smoothly for last couple months. Easy replacement problem solved.

Thank you!