Installing New Intellichlor

My IC40 failed a few days ago. Noticed my pool was cloudy after rain, thought maybe rain raised pH enough to cause some CA to precipitate out (as in the past) so tossed a cup of dry acid in. Noticed no change next day, so I tested water. FC was 0, pH was 7.4. After some troubleshooting I ran the chlorinator diagnostic on my EasyTouch and saw it was reading salt at 0. Reset panel, salt still 0. Set IC40 output to 100%, looked at the return lines and no hydrogen bubbles. Hmmm. Manually dosed pool with bleach, threw a puck in the floater and called a tech at a reputable local store that previously did some warranty work for me. They suggested cell was bad. Pool was built in late 2007, had both EasyTouch and Intellichlor control boards replaced under warranty in 2009, then original IC40 cell went bad the following year, they replaced that under warranty too. Disappointed and concerned that I was looking at a third cell after just 6 full seasons, but figured original cell would have died by now anyway. Ordered replacement from Amazon and installed today. A few questions:

1) the top panel of the cell was installed backward at factory, or was it? Once installed in proper flow direction, the panel faces into the equipment pad, instead of outward like my old cell(s). Is this a mistake at the factory? Anyone experienced this? Should I return?

2) the diagnostic still read salt at 0. Opened the EasyTouch and inspected the boards, suspecting a problem. Nothing visibly wrong, scratched my head until I reset the panel in the diagnostic menu on the EasyTouch. Salt then read 3800. That got me wondering, so I put the old cell back in, reset the EasyTouch again and the diagnostic again read salt at 0. Switched the new cell back in, reset the EasyTouch again and salt was good (3800). So I guess the old cell is dead... or is it? Should I try again?

3) does Pentair honor warranty on cells bought from non-certified sources, like Amazon? I know some manufacturers won't in an attempt to support local pool stores. Mind you, the Amazon price was more than $300 less.

As always, thanks for any input. Haven't been on the forum in a couple of years, had to reactivate my account. Good to be back!

Found a YouTube video that answered my first question - yes, Pentair changed the design/direction of the top panel on the cell itself. OK. But still wondering if I should switch cells again... the old cell was replaced in July 2009, but while it had nearly 5 full seasons under its belt, I wasn't getting any red LED indicators, the blades were pristine (I have a vinyl-lined pool so CA never gets much higher than 200), pump run times generally average 10-12 hours and output averages 30-40%. I guess I'm in denial, and really have no complaints since Pentair was great about honoring the warranties on the control boards and the original cell that was installed with the pool in 2007. Thanks.

tossed a cup of dry acid in. Noticed no change next day, so I tested water.

Shame shame... especially with acid, test the water first, you know better than that!

You got your 5 years out of your original cell, more or less. So lets hope the new version lasts at least 5 yrs (10,000 hrs.). I've noticed the reversed label on the cell too. I don' think it's a manufacturing defect.

You're right. Got a new K-2006 a few weeks ago too, should have used it. Won't make that mistake again. Been re-reading alot of old threads here and getting back up to speed after skating the past couple of seasons.

I actually sent an email to Pentair support but afterward I told myself the same thing - I got 6 years out of the original and replacement cell, combined. All in all, I'm happy with Pentair because they did so much warranty work.

No limitations in warranty re: online equipment purchases, and found a few threads stating no warranty issues with Pentair. So I think I'm all good - hopefully for a good long while.

Thanks Pool Clown!