Hot Spot Rlx Zq Box Under Heater

pogo3033

There is an aluminum box attached to the bottom side of the heater with some wires running into the end. Does anyone know what this box might be? the box is about 3"X4"X10" or so.

Also how do you tell if you are running on high speed or not? If I push the jets button twice I get water flow and I can add air with the control knob. If I push the jets button to turn it off then I have to push the button twice to get it to run. Also it is running for a couple of hours and then just quitting, it doesn't trip the breaker but just stops and then I can push the jets button twice again and it will start up. The temp is about 100.

Hi - Please contact Watkins Customer Service at 800-999-4688 x8432 with the spa's serial number (located in the equipment compartment)so we can first identify the year of your spa. In regards to the spa pump shutting off after two hours of operation, that is normal. There is an automatic time-out feature for the jet pump after two hours of continuous high-speed operation. There is also a 10 minute delay before the low-speed will activate along with the heater to bring the spa back up to your set temperature. The rectangular box you are describing is not part of the original equipment package. It sounds like it is an old-style UV ozone unit that has been rigged into the control box and plumbing. If you provide us with a picture, we'll confirm what it is if possible. Regards,

Keith - Watkins Customer Service

There was a lid on the bottom of the aluminum box so I removed it to take a look inside and the terminals for the heater are in there so it is part of the heater. I checked the relays on the circuit board by applying 12V to the coils and they all actuate OK and there is continuity between the contacts when the relay is energized so they appear to be OK. I guess there is something in a processor chip that tells the pump to run on low speed or high speed. Seems that all I can get it the high speed mode even if I disconnect power to the tub and turn it back on I still only get high speed. Funny because when I first acquired it low speed was the only thing that worked and if I tried high speed it would trip the breaker, now it runs OK on high but no low. It does heat though when running on high so I can live with it that way.