First Time Spa Buyer

Quickbeam

In the next couple of months my wife and I will be purchasing out first hot tub. We will need a tub that is about 7' x 7'. We have not wet tested yet but will be doing so in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure I want a lounger, but without wet testing am not 100% positive. The brands we are going to look at are Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Bullfrog. Bullfrog is kind of a wild card and I would like your opinions on whether or not you believe it is in the same class as the other brands I have mentioned. I am thinking in terms of build quality and reliability. Through wet testing we will figure out which spa we like best for comfort and hydrotherapy, but I would like the opinions of those with some knowledge and experience as to whether or not Bullfrog is on the same playing field as the others in terms of build quality and reliability. Thanks so much for any advice you can provide, and if you have any comments on the other brands I have mentioned, please feel free to let me know those opinions as well. Thanks again.

If your going to grab Bullfrog and throw it in the mix with probably the top manufacturers on the market for reliability and longevity you should also consider Dimension One, Beachcomber, Artesian and Arctic if they are in your area.

Bullfrog makes a VERY nice spa, the new models are excellent. New jet packs come in and out with ease and can be moved to any spot in the spa. Prior to 2013, certain seats would not accommodate the larger jet packs.

As for durability and reliability, they are just as good as any other spa. They use Balboa controls and Aqua Flo pumps. As a service tech, a couple of (minor) issues I have with Bullfrog, such as saving a few bucks per spa by not putting slice valves on, which they used to do. BUT, Bullfrog is one of the EASIEST spas to repair when something does go wrong. Spas I HATE working on...Dimension One, Arctic, Hot Springs and Sundance. Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others prefer to work on those.

Thank you for your responses. To Spa Guru, we did originally want to look at Dimension One, but there is no dealer in our area. As for Beachcomber, Artesian and Arctic, we just came to the conclusion that you need to draw the line somewhere. If we don't find something we like with either Hot Springs, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi or Bull Frog then we'll look at others. Again though, I'm still not sure about Bull Frog and if it is in the same league with the others I've mentioned???

Also really appreciate your comments Spa Savant, as I gather you do believe Bull Frog has the same build quality and reliability as the others. Good to know.

Well I'm a little biased as I just purchased a new Bullfrog R6L and so far very happy with it. I can change jetpaks within seconds it is very easy. We plan to get more in the future which is a very nice feature as our therapy needs may change. Owners that I have spoke with had nothing but good things to say. As said, I'm a new owner. We just got ours up and running this week - so far water is crystal and our bodies are enjoying the different types of massage that each jetpak provides. So far my favorite seat is the lounger and I Iike all the jetpaks we have (comes with three, we picked oscillator, neck baster, and rain shower). What is really nice is having all the jets run at the same time, no longer have to live with having to shut some jets off to run others like in our previous spa.

Thanks Merriflower,

If we were to end up with a Bullfrog, I think it would be either the model you have or the A6L. Again, this is a very big if right now, as we have not wet tested anything, but I'm pretty sure we want the lounge and am also pretty sure that the A6L and the R6L are the only ones in the Bullfrog line that would fit where we want to put it.

In the next couple of months my wife and I will be purchasing out first hot tub. We will need a tub that is about 7' x 7'. We have not wet tested yet but will be doing so in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure I want a lounger, but without wet testing am not 100% positive. The brands we are going to look at are Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Bullfrog. Bullfrog is kind of a wild card and I would like your opinions on whether or not you believe it is in the same class as the other brands I have mentioned. I am thinking in terms of build quality and reliability. Through wet testing we will figure out which spa we like best for comfort and hydrotherapy, but I would like the opinions of those with some knowledge and experience as to whether or not Bullfrog is on the same playing field as the others in terms of build quality and reliability. Thanks so much for any advice you can provide, and if you have any comments on the other brands I have mentioned, please feel free to let me know those opinions as well. Thanks again.

Hi Quickbeam,

Happy to hear you are considering a Hot Spring spa! Please let our team know if we can assist as you begin your hot tub search.

Thank you,

Erica

The Hot Spring Team

I'm a big fan of Bullfrog. I currently sell them, among other brands, but they are my favorite. I personally feel that their construction is as good or better than the other brands that you mentioned. I really like the synthetic frame and abs base. In my experience they are extremely reliable.

My personal opinion is that they have the best jetting and massage available. Plus, how cool is it that you get to pick the massage that you want. If for some reason you don't like a jetpak, it's really easy to replace it with another of your choosing.

That being said, all of the brands mentioned are good choices. I accidentally overdosed on Bullfrog coolaid and am a little biased :)

I didn't say BF is a bad brand. I just think there are a ton in the high end spa market that should be considered. You guys are to sensitive to differing views than your own. A salesman and new owner should be excited about it being what they consider the best.

I agree, that when spa shopping people should look and wet test all high end spas that they are able to in their area. We did. We have owned Marquis in the past and now Bullfrog, both which I consider high end tubs. I was just responding to the OP question of "I would like the opinions of those with some knowledge and experience as to whether or not Bullfrog is on the same playing field as the others in terms of build quality and reliability."

I think BF has a few years to go before their reputation gets to the point of high end. They just made one major change for the problem and are now better. And once they get some tubs out there for 5-10 years I may be able to give them a higher thumbs up. Until then sorry.

Hot Springs would be my go to. Sundance to follow if you want a good quality tub that is very energy efficient. Whatever you choose is completely on you, and I do recommend a wet test. However, to consider Bullfrog in the same line? They are not a superior product. Yes, they have the one major draw point of less plumbing. But is buying a new jet pack that can be replaced a drawing point? How does anyone fall for that? Here's an idea. You could just move to a different seat in your Hot Springs/Sundance/Marquis/Jacuzzi. All seats in a spa are designed differently for a different feel and massage. The shell will also have a weaker structure, and all the places you're creating more space in it allows a better foothold for algae to bloom. I would stick with the main four to choose from.

Hot Springs would be my go to. Sundance to follow if you want a good quality tub that is very energy efficient. Whatever you choose is completely on you, and I do recommend a wet test. However, to consider Bullfrog in the same line? They are not a superior product. Yes, they have the one major draw point of less plumbing. But is buying a new jet pack that can be replaced a drawing point? How does anyone fall for that? Here's an idea. You could just move to a different seat in your Hot Springs/Sundance/Marquis/Jacuzzi. All seats in a spa are designed differently for a different feel and massage. The shell will also have a weaker structure, and all the places you're creating more space in it allows a better foothold for algae to bloom. I would stick with the main four to choose from.

No offense, but you've missed the point. It's not about moving them. It's about having a huge variety of options and putting the massage that suits each person best in the seat that fits them best. The customer gets to decide if they want light and soothing, deep tissue, neck and shoulder or lower back, pulsating or oscillating and put it in their most preferred seat. The jets are strong and very therapeutic. The oscillators kick butt, and I haven't seen these jets in any other tub.

It's also not just the jetpaks, they build a quality tub from top to bottom. Their warranty is as good or better than any other. They have great lighting. Their tubs look very clean and elegant. They have the only flush mounted jets in the industry. They have an all synthetic construction, with a lifetime warranty on the structure and abs base. They are extremely energy efficient. The company culture is awesome. It's a great company to work with. They don't need diverter valves, you can operate all of the jets on high power at once.

I could go on and on. I highly recommend test soaking for yourself. I'm sure you would come away impressed.

I'm sorry, but you still miss the point. Any tub can be customized to deliver a deep tissue or soft tissue massage. I know for a fact Sundance as the ability to oscillate or pulsate. Most jet faces can be turned to determine how much pressure you want coming out of them on any spa. I fail to see the point of needing a new jet pack to fit someone's needs when you can just as easily move to another seat. We'll just agree to disagree, because personally, Bullfrog in my opinion is not a top-tier spa. Plus, the original post already expressed they weren't keen on Bullfrog as their first choice. So debating it still is rather pointless.

I'm sorry, but you still miss the point. Any tub can be customized to deliver a deep tissue or soft tissue massage. I know for a fact Sundance as the ability to oscillate or pulsate. Most jet faces can be turned to determine how much pressure you want coming out of them on any spa. I fail to see the point of needing a new jet pack to fit someone's needs when you can just as easily move to another seat. We'll just agree to disagree, because personally, Bullfrog in my opinion is not a top-tier spa. Plus, the original post already expressed they weren't keen on Bullfrog as their first choice. So debating it still is rather pointless.

I'm the original poster and sorry, but I never said I wasn't keen on Bullfrog. What I said was that I didn't know about Bullfrog and I was asking for opinions as to whether or not it was in the same league in terms of build quality and reliability as the others I mentioned. I do appreciate the fact you've provided your opinion, as well as all the others that have provided their opinions.

Yesterday is the first time we have had the opportunity to go and look at Bullfrog. Didn't do a wet test, just wanted to go and talk face to face with a dealer and take a look at the tubs. I thought the tubs were good looking and well finished. I like the idea they don't have any wood in them, although I'm not sure in the end how big a deal that is. I also like that the jet packs can be moved. I don't buy that people will move them around all the time but I can see them being moved initially so you can put your favourite jet pack in the particular seat you want. I know you said you can just change seats in any other spa, but for our particular application, we will be putting our spa on a roof deck with a view, so the seat we are sitting in does make a difference. I can tell you we are having a difficult time finding a spa the size we want with the seats oriented correctly so we can take advantage of the view. The other thing that really appeals to me about Bullfrog is the reduced amount of plumbing. To me at least, the less plumbing you have the less the chances of a leak, and that part is probably the most appealing thing to me about Bullfrog.

Having said all the above, I don't think Bullfrog will be for us. We are limited in the size of spa we can have and unfortunately it does not look like Bullfrog will meet what we are looking for. I can't say if we didn't have any limitations we would be buying Bullfrog, but it would at least be in consideration. Thanks so much to all who have posted and shared their opinions.