Where Is My Hayward Pump Leaking From?

rrgone

I have a Hayward RS pump that is leaking a small amount of water. It seems to be coming out the bottom side between the motor and impeller case. I recently installed a new motor and cannot figure out where/why it is leaking. I had leslies put a new seal kit on when I bought the motor from them and I also got a gasket set. I was very careful when installing the flat gasket that goes into a groove on the pump side, put a little lube on it, and snugged the 6 bolts up in a crossing pattern. When I turned it on it leaked visibly between the seal plate and motor mounting plate so I snugged the bolts a bit. It still seems to be leaking somewhere but I can't see where as it's underneath everything. I think I got that large flat housing gasket installed correctly so where else is likely to be leaking from? Is there a common issue here? Thanks for any help.

Hi, Thanks for the great ideas. Sorry it's taken a while to get back here. Had a hard drive crash and I ran chkdsk with auto recovery and it ran for about 80 hours! I just left it alone, it seems to have fixed the disk.

I did go out and check the pressure and it was about 21 psi. So backflushed and it dropped to about 11. It is still leaking very slightly but definately a difference. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for a few days and then decide if I want to take it apart again and check the seal plate flatness. I'll post again.

• 2 months later...

Show me the data. The OPs' problem is likely a leaking seal, MAYBE a seal plate. Show me where a seal, seal plate gasket, even a sealplate is the same cost as a whole new pump

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-and-Motors/Single-Speed-Pumps/41012.html

Thats fine if you are fixing your own pump, you can do whatever you want, no matter how silly. But don't advise people here to do that. If you are fixing your customers equipment that way, you're a crook... Or maybe you don't know how tear down a pump and fix it!