Separate Timer For Cleaner

duke3665

I wonder if anyone has a separate timer switch to run their cleaner?

Here's my problem: I've gone through 2 cleaners in the last 6 years. (We can discuss the brand of cleaners and which is the best cleaner in another discussion -- that's not what I'm interested in this thread.) Part of the problem I believe is the both the cleaner and the filtration pumps are on the same circuit, which is controlled by a timer. So I can set the timer to run the filter pump for 12 hrs a day, and the cleaner will also run 12 hrs a day. (Ie. both motors run off the same timer.)

So anytime the filter is running, the cleaner is running. However the cleaner probably only needs to run about 2 hrs a day, instead of the 12 hrs or so that the filter pump runs.

I believe part of the reason the cleaners fail is because they run longer than needed each day, adding unnecessary wear and tear on the cleaner.

Here's my question: can I wire in a second timer switch that comes off the main timer, so that once it (the second timer switch) receives power, it will send power on to the cleaner booster motor for 2 hrs (or whatever time I set for it), and then this second timer switch turns off, stopping the power feed to the cleaner booster pump. The next day, when the main timer sends power to both the filter pump and the booster pump, the booster pump runs for 2 hrs and shuts down again. And on and on, day after day.

If this is doable, what kind of timer switch is needed to control the booster pump? What would it be called, or what search term do I use on the internet?