Repairing Cracked Caulk

The caulk between the deck and tiles of my in-ground pool is badly cracking (it's 15 years old). What type of caulk should I use to repair it? Photos of the old caulk are given below - it is a hard, rough, black colored material.

Aside from removing any loose caulk, are there any other special preparations or precautions I should take?

CrackedPoolCaulk1_zps45c2addc.jpg

CrackedPoolCaulk2_zpsd7794053.jpg

Any weatherproof silicon caulk will do. I just did this to my pool and went with a clear weatherproof caulk. The color choice is up to you. One thing I would recommend is to add backer rod before reapplying the new caulk. I got 3/8" thick foam backer rod. This can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, and most pool stores. It gives the caulking something to adhere to and fills the gap which is typically too large to fully caulk.

Lastly, some people opt to sprinkle fine sand on the caulking before it cures. This does makes it blend into the cement (tile in your case) a little better.

Good luck!

It appears to me that they have used a cement based joint caulk. This sets up hard just like the joints between your

flooring tiles in your home. In a pool I would not use that as there is too much moisture around it. I would also

recommend that you use a plyable type calk. Get one with silicone which will last longer.