Advice & Thoughts On A New Tub.

Hi everyone,We are new to the hot tub spa seen and are looking to purchase our first and hopefully only spa. I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for but at the same time I am also the best bang for your buck kind of guy. We are Looking at Dimension One, Hot Springs & Hot Spot. The D1 is the Nautiqe from the Reflections collections Or the Meridian form the Home Collection. Hot Springs is perhaps the Pulse from the Limelight Collection or Vanguard from the Highlife Collection. We have not wet tested any of them and would like to if possible. I also hear that the saltwater systems aren't that good on spas as it is a whole different animal between pool water and spa water.(any thoughts)? The dealer tells me the Ultra pure system on the D1 is just about trouble free and very little to maintain (true or false)? Does anyone think you get more for your money between these 2 brands at around the same price point? How about the Hot Spot spas made by Hot Springs? Is that perhaps the bang for the buck? The warranty is less but the dealer says it is all the same parts that the Hot Springs has without some of the bells and whistles. (Bells & Whistles are nice). I know the decision is ours to make but we really appreciate any thoughts or advice on any of these spas.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Bulldogge.

1) All are good choices you are looking at.

2) You really need to wet test, you will learn a lot.

3) The person saying Ace should be avoided was undoubtedly the competitor. The Ace system creates is own chlorine which is why its unique but its an option and an added expense. If you are unsure you can skip Ace and just add chlorine yourself and add an ozonator (the Vanguard comes with the ozonator already installed). Ozone helps but you still need chlorine no matter what you may have been promised. The Ultra Pure system is simply an ozone system like the Vanguard has.

4) The Hot Spots are a great deal for those who prefer to spend less for whatever reason. It has fewer bells and whistles and shorter warranty than the Pulse or Vanguard but the same build quality and many of the same parts. Of course I'd get the Vanguard or Pulse if I could but the Hot Spot is a good option.

If you are willing to pay for quality, drop the D1 at home series and the Hot Spot from consideration. In the case of D1, the at home series is significantly cheapened compared to the Reflection and Bay series tubs. The same is true of the Hot Spot. It can't compare to the Pulse. The Pulse has much better electronics, etc.

John

I concur with John, the Hot Spot and Home Series by D1 are just barely above Costco offerings.

I would be hesitant with any D1 spa at the moment because they just sold to the Jacuzzi/Sundance group, and replacement parts 5-10 years from now could be hard to get if the equipment between the three brands becomes standardized to existing jac/Sun offerings.

If you buy a spa from any dealer of spas that relies heavily or exclusively on proprietary parts, expect to pay a premium price post-warranty.

Thanks for the responses. I went a few dealers today and here's what I found. Jacuzzi J-365. The tub seems very nice and I like the that it has the Proclear system. Feel comfortable with the dealer as I done other business with them in the past. Jacuzzi J-365.$8300.00 total price delivered. Also seen the J-470. Sweet tub but a little more than i want to spend. $11000.00 total price delivered. I do not know what retail is on any of these tubs but that's what he says he can do for me.Same dealer also sells Saratoga. He says Saratoga uses the same internals as Jacuzzi does Balboa pumps and motors and he really like those tubs a lot.the nice thing about Saratoga tubs is they are only an hour from where I live so getting a part is very accessible and there customer service is top notch.The Model is a Lincoln. Pretty big tub with lots of room,Ozone,SS jets and 4 pumps.$8500.00 total price delivered. The only thing is he don't allow wet test as he says insurance reasons scare the hell out of him.Then i made my way to the Hot Springs dealer. I don't know how comfortable I am with them as I had an elderly woman showing me the tubs and she had to refer to the books for everything. i felt like i new more just by doing my own research. The 2 HS tubs are the Grandee and the Vanguard. Both nice tubs but for some reason (just not sure) At least the HS dealer I can wet test.Grandee $8945.00 +tax. Vanguard $8375.00 + tax. The thing that turns me off with the HS dealer is that they want $150.00 for delivery and I am only 20min. away. next is the D1 dealer. My wife really like the D1. Nautique. She likes how the head rests are adjustable and how the have the built in jets for the neck. We can wet test another tub they have set up from the at home series but nit the Nautique. We are very Comfortable with the D1 dealer as we purchased our pool with them and they are always good with us. We can get the D1 Nautiqe total price $10,370.00 total price delivered. We also like the Ultra pure system on the D1. Just like the Jacuzzi. How do these prices seem to you guys? Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for the responses. I went a few dealers today and here's what I found. Jacuzzi J-365. The tub seems very nice and I like the that it has the Proclear system. Feel comfortable with the dealer as I done other business with them in the past. Jacuzzi J-365.$8300.00 total price delivered. Also seen the J-470. Sweet tub but a little more than i want to spend. $11000.00 total price delivered. I do not know what retail is on any of these tubs but that's what he says he can do for me.Same dealer also sells Saratoga. He says Saratoga uses the same internals as Jacuzzi does Balboa pumps and motors and he really like those tubs a lot.the nice thing about Saratoga tubs is they are only an hour from where I live so getting a part is very accessible and there customer service is top notch.The Model is a Lincoln. Pretty big tub with lots of room,Ozone,SS jets and 4 pumps.$8500.00 total price delivered. The only thing is he don't allow wet test as he says insurance reasons scare the hell out of him.Then i made my way to the Hot Springs dealer. I don't know how comfortable I am with them as I had an elderly woman showing me the tubs and she had to refer to the books for everything. i felt like i new more just by doing my own research. The 2 HS tubs are the Grandee and the Vanguard. Both nice tubs but for some reason (just not sure) At least the HS dealer I can wet test.Grandee $8945.00 +tax. Vanguard $8375.00 + tax. The thing that turns me off with the HS dealer is that they want $150.00 for delivery and I am only 20min. away. next is the D1 dealer. My wife really like the D1. Nautique. She likes how the head rests are adjustable and how the have the built in jets for the neck. We can wet test another tub they have set up from the at home series but nit the Nautique. We are very Comfortable with the D1 dealer as we purchased our pool with them and they are always good with us. We can get the D1 Nautiqe total price $10,370.00 total price delivered. We also like the Ultra pure system on the D1. Just like the Jacuzzi. How do these prices seem to you guys? Thanks again for the advice.

Wow, $8950 for a Grandee is not a good price, its a GREAT price. That tub sells for near $11k usually and the Vanguard usually around to 10K, thats not an exaggeration. Delivery is never for free, its usually included in the price but they separated it out to make the spa price lower so just look at it like its $9100 and $8525 delivered, same thing either way. As far as the sales lady not knowing her stuff, thats not a big deal really, just make sure their service people do. Ask if they service their own stuff and how long the store has been selling the brand so you can know if the dealership overall knows the spas. The salesperson only sells it, the store owner/manager and certainly service people are who matter most afterward.

Just got another price. The HS dealer called this morning and told me a $8400.00 + $150.00 for delivery for the Grandee (weekend sale). My wife is really leaning towards the Jacuzzi or Dimension1 as she likes the extra filtration with the UV systems for even less chemicals and maintenance. The wife is now considering the J-470 from Jacuzzi $11,000.00 total delivered. We just want purchase a tub that will be our first and last and have the right tub. Buy once and buy right.

Just got another price. The HS dealer called this morning and told me a $8400.00 + $150.00 for delivery for the Grandee (weekend sale). My wife is really leaning towards the Jacuzzi or Dimension1 as she likes the extra filtration with the UV systems for even less chemicals and maintenance. The wife is now considering the J-470 from Jacuzzi $11,000.00 total delivered. We just want purchase a tub that will be our first and last and have the right tub. Buy once and buy right.

I have to say whoever had the idea to market that Clearray for Jacuzzi did a good job of taking what was really just UV ozone technology which I thought was mostly dead in hot tubs anyway, gave it a clever name and its being sold as a big part of the spas water care. That Marketing guy deserves a raise. Its a UV ozonator and the water care expert that comes here even questions whether it does much in hot water anyway (vs in a municipal water supply where its more commonly used) but I see so many people talking about how its a big part of their decision making. If it comes with the spa that’s fine and maybe it helps a little but don’t make it a major part of your purchasing decision. Those are both very good spas, wet test them and pick the one that works for you.

Thanks for the info. are all Ozone systems created equal? Are all Ozone systems the same thing? Do all Ozone systems work the same way and do some work better than others because of the type of filtration system they have? There is a lot off knowledge to be learned and I am going into this with very little and trying to understand how these things work. I want to know what we are purchasing and want a tub that will last us a very long time. Like this will be our only spa purchase. I would like to thanks to everyone who gave me info and input and really appreciate it. We are going wet test some D1 tubs tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks.

Bulldogge

All I know is anyone who has bought a Grandee the past 5 years (and its one of Hot Spring's biggest sellers even though its their most expensive) would do a double take to see a price of $8550 delivered because that is easily the lowest I've seen someone selling it for in a very long time. Wet test it, its a great spa and it comes with the subpanel, CD ozone and is top of the line for Hot Spring.

HS Ace. We are going to wet test the sovereign as that is the only tub they have set up for wet testing. I am sure that will give us a pretty good idea of what even the Grandee will feel like. You must work for HS as seem to push them, and is cool. i really appreciate your feedback and input. I heard that saltwater and hot tubs don't really belong together. We have a saltwater system in our pool and think it is one of the best things ever invented. I am told not only by other dealers that saltwater is no good but other folks as well. ( that may have been also told by dealers). In a pool you have 15,0000 gallons with all plastic parts in your filtration. On a hot tub you have 300-500 with a lot of metal parts. Salt and metal don't get along that great. I have also been told that HS will be doing away with the ace saltwater system due to problems with corrosion. I know HS has a lot of fans on this site so they have to be a good product. Well we will be testing this weekend and perhaps purchasing.

thanks for the input.

Bulldogge

Thanks for the info. are all Ozone systems created equal? Are all Ozone systems the same thing? Do all Ozone systems work the same way and do some work better than others because of the type of filtration system they have? There is a lot off knowledge to be learned and I am going into this with very little and trying to understand how these things work. I want to know what we are purchasing and want a tub that will last us a very long time. Like this will be our only spa purchase. I would like to thanks to everyone who gave me info and input and really appreciate it. We are going wet test some D1 tubs tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks.

Bulldogge

Its true that all ozontors aren't equal, CD tend to be better but there are some cheap ones both UV and CD and some good ones and its always best to have a circ pump spas when you use one. In reality you really don't have to have an ozonator anyway, just find the best spa for you and don't let talk of ozone, filtering, lighting, waterfalls... get in the way of how the spa feels in a wet test, whats the quality like, whats the dealer like, do they service their own spas, how long in business, how long with the brand they are selling, what kind of deal are you getting, what does it include ...

HS Ace. We are going to wet test the sovereign as that is the only tub they have set up for wet testing. I am sure that will give us a pretty good idea of what even the Grandee will feel like. You must work for HS as seem to push them, and is cool. i really appreciate your feedback and input. I heard that saltwater and hot tubs don't really belong together. We have a saltwater system in our pool and think it is one of the best things ever invented. I am told not only by other dealers that saltwater is no good but other folks as well. ( that may have been also told by dealers). In a pool you have 15,0000 gallons with all plastic parts in your filtration. On a hot tub you have 300-500 with a lot of metal parts. Salt and metal don't get along that great. I have also been told that HS will be doing away with the ace saltwater system due to problems with corrosion. I know HS has a lot of fans on this site so they have to be a good product. Well we will be testing this weekend and perhaps purchasing.

thanks for the input.

Bulldogge

I'd never hard sell the Ace, its an option and while I love it not everyone wants to add it so I never want to act like its a must have but who is giving you this info on the Ace. I know its a competitor because of the pure inaccuracies including the blatantly false statement that its going away because it most certinaly isn't. Also, Ace can't be compared to a pool chlorine generator or other simple spa chlorine generators. My understanding is pool salt levels are usually 3500 to 4500 PPM (I don't have one so thats not first hand) but for Ace its only about 1000 PPM while water from the faucet is about 500 PPM. You can't even taste the salt in a spa with Ace, the level is low due to the type of cell used that doesn't require the typical salt amount. There is a FAQ area on the Hot Spring website that is a better source than someone making up stories: http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/grandee/ace-salt-water-sanitizing-system#first

In the end skip the Ace if you are unsure and just use chlorine but don't let a salesperson from another brand use negative sell stories lacking accuracy. My name does give it away but while I may have a bias for Hot Spring I'm also not saying we have the only good spa out there. In this case I'm just saying the price you are seeing is beyond just a good price. Skip all the promises of water care being better in one brand or another any of the other hoopla and just take your wet tests and get the best spa for you at the best price you can.

OK my friends, thank you for all your advice so far and also for future advice as I am sure we will need some more. We checked out all the spas today and the wife liked the D1 nautique. She really liked the headrests with the built in jets and the adjustability of them. We also got a great deal on a 2012 model that we could not pass up. :D Now we have to figure out how we our going to do our pad and start working on that. We would like to be ready asap to get the tub delivered. Hopefully I can have everything ready in 2 weeks. They can deliver the tub anytime we want so I better get moving.

Thanks again everyone and ttys

Bulldogge.

I have to say whoever had the idea to market that Clearray for Jacuzzi did a good job of taking what was really just UV ozone technology which I thought was mostly dead in hot tubs anyway, gave it a clever name and its being sold as a big part of the spas water care. That Marketing guy deserves a raise. Its a UV ozonator and the water care expert that comes here even questions whether it does much in hot water anyway (vs in a municipal water supply where its more commonly used) but I see so many people talking about how its a big part of their decision making. If it comes with the spa that’s fine and maybe it helps a little but don’t make it a major part of your purchasing decision. Those are both very good spas, wet test them and pick the one that works for you.

I have often said ozone, more than anything, is a great sales tool.

• 2 weeks later...

"Dimension1 as she likes the extra filtration with the UV systems for even less chemicals and maintenance"

Umm, this is where things go wrong. Don't base any spa purchasing decision based on Ozone, or chemical maintenance.

The three spas you're considering all happen to have great filtration. Hot Springs being the best- but the others are good enough.

Ozone doesn't mean less chemical maintenance. Ask the salesman for a peer reviewed study on Ozone maintenance and spa usage.

The theory, of course, comes from ozone's use when purifying drinking water. But you don't have sweaty people swimming in 104 degree aquifers that only hold a few hundred gallons. Your chemical regimen is going to be virtually the same with all the brands, except Hot Springs if you get Ace. And Ace is going to be very close to the same amount of work to maintain as any other spa.

Bottom line- make sure you like the seating arrangement and jets.

The brands you've chosen are all excellent choices, and you'll be satisfied with any of them.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone, we have had our D1 Nautique for about 4 weeks now and we extremely happy with it. We like all the seats and all the jet placement. We have the new spa on our deck by the pool but late this this summer will be moving it to the enclosed porch witch is part of the deck. We also thought we got a very good deal on the spa. We got new 2012 D1 nautique out the door for $7000.00 delivered. We also had a reputable electrician in our area to run the wire and hook everything up for $300.00 and i supplied the GFI and box. I would like to thank everyone for their advice and input and say Happy Tubbing :D

Bulldogge