Tub Vs Pool Chemicals

Rika

I stopped by my tub dealer today to pick up some non clorine Shock (MPS) and some PH up.

He was busy talking to another customer so I looked around by myself for a while.

I noticed a product called PH up which is Sodium carbonate in the hot tub chemical section for $7.50 for 2.5 lbs. In the Pool chemical section I saw a "Pool" PH up for$5.50 for 5 lbs(also Sodium Carbonate).

The only difference I could see between ingredients on the bottles is that the tub chemical may have been slightly more finely ground. I saw a similar price difference on the MPS non clorine shock. I bought the cheaper "pool" product. I am curious what others feel about this or if you have noticed it. Is there anything wrong with using Pool Products in Hot tubs if they are the same chemical substance?

The filter cleaner (soak) products they sell there did not have an actual ingredient listed. It just said it was an alkaline product. Is there a cheeper alternative that works as well?

I often buy spa chemicals from other stores (including home improvement stores) at much cheaper prices than my spa dealer.

I only buy those that precisely list the chemicals and know they are identical to the higher priced products from the spa dealer. This includes alkalinity increase, pH decrease and increase, shock, and bromine tablets.

I am pool and spa dealer and would like to say that the chemicals are the same from pool and spa. But you do wana stay away from knock off cheap chemicals due to there is alot of garbage fillers in there that ten to add cloudyness...

I stopped by my tub dealer today to pick up some non clorine Shock (MPS) and some PH up.

He was busy talking to another customer so I looked around by myself for a while.

I noticed a product called PH up which is Sodium carbonate in the hot tub chemical section for $7.50 for 2.5 lbs. In the Pool chemical section I saw a "Pool" PH up for$5.50 for 5 lbs(also Sodium Carbonate).

The only difference I could see between ingredients on the bottles is that the tub chemical may have been slightly more finely ground. I saw a similar price difference on the MPS non clorine shock. I bought the cheaper "pool" product. I am curious what others feel about this or if you have noticed it. Is there anything wrong with using Pool Products in Hot tubs if they are the same chemical substance?

The filter cleaner (soak) products they sell there did not have an actual ingredient listed. It just said it was an alkaline product. Is there a cheeper alternative that works as well?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rika, Many of our customers ask the same question. So, to answer your question quickly, DON'T USE POOL CHEMICALS IN SPAS OR SPA CHEMICALS IN POOLS!

To be perfectly honest, the chemicals themselves may indeed be the identical product, but it's the labeling. And the labeling makes it a question of legality. The question of legality makes it a discussion of whether YOU want to be sued if another friend of yours gets a rash or "illness" because of using YOUR spa.

I'll be as brief as possible. Here's the scenario: you need to add "shock" to your water. You're out of it. The weather's bad so you go to your local pool discount store (you normally don't shop there, but it's convenient), go to the pool chemical isle (they don't carry spa chemicals & the store person is not knowledgeable) & pick up a bottle of pool shock; shock is shock (NOT). You bring the shock home & use it according to YOUR dosage of what you remember. A couple of days later a friend comes over for a soak. A couple of days later your friend calls to tell you about a rash that she's got under her arms, across her chest & back. She goes to the doctor, doctor tells her it's a good (bad) case of psuedomonas (PA). She spends lots in medical bills & presciptions. She wants to be reimbursed. An investigation finds that you are treating the spa with pool chemicals. The labeling says NOTHING about spas or hot tubs. YOU are negligible and therfore liable. You can also bring the store into this be casting some blame on them (not knowing better, should have told you, etc). You've lost a friend. BUT, you saved a couple of bucks on the shock!

That's why. Pool dosages & spa dosages are significantly different for obvious reasons. Another thing to keep in mind is that the way they are used is also much different. If you want some honest answers, you can visit our site at cheaphottubchemicals.com . BUT PLEASE, only use spa chemicals in your spa; NEVER use pool chemicals. In the long run it's not cheaper.

Enjoy your spa!

Chris

From a degree'd chemist's perspective, IF the ingredients are IDENTICAL, including the percentages, then the only difference should be (a) the finess or coarseness (which matters nothing once it disolves), and (B) ....and thats about it.

If the chemical content, including percentages, are identical, then the dosage you use will be unchanged.

If someone tries to sue, they have no case.

Of course, I say this as a chemisty, one who would be on the stand as a witness, not as an attorney out to get a buck.

Chris, buddy........... would you mind sharing some of those recreational drugs?

Does the "cheap" in your URL (which by the way is a violation to the user agreement here to post) refer to the quality of your product? Cause it sure don't refer to the pricing :P