Thermospas 1900D Has No Power

aaronkr

I have an early 2000's ThermoSpas 1900D Concorde model that will not turn on. The pump was bad, so I replaced the 2-speed pump (AE 23020-4) and when I did, only the low speed worked and it would shut off when it went to high speed. I tried switching the low and high speed wires, just in case I may of had them backwards. When I did this, the pump tripped the GFCI breaker instantly and then tripped the main breaker.

When the pump was unplugged from the control board, everything else would still power up and work (blower, lights). I switched the wires back to the original configuration to at least get the pump running so it would circulate the water and when I did, nothing worked. Now, even with the pump unplugged, there is no power to the top-side control. I can hear the pump click on, but that is it.

Is there a possibility that the transformer could have blown and needs replaced? It is a Cin-Tran 30274 transformer and the spa pack is Balboa.

Check the fuses on the circuit board and please refrain from simply moving wires around. I'd also suspect that you either have the wrong motor or you have wired it up incorrectly. It may be time to get someone knowledgeable. Let's hope you did not suffer any permanent damage, but any time the non-GFCI main breaker trips indicates the equipment was subjected to very high current conditions. A lot depends on the exact path that high current followed and that depends on the exact nature of your wiring screw up.

John

Thanks John,

To be certain, I replaced the transformer first and then I tested the fuse (Bussman SC-20 Time Delay). It turned out that the fuse was bad, but I am still having an issue. Without the fuse in, I jumped the circuit to ensure their would be power with a new fuse and sure enough there was. I replaced the new fuse this morning and the GFCI breaker tripped instantly. I have contacted a spa professional, but they are stumped as well. I should mention that I replaced the pump with another brand new pump.

So, I have a new pump, new transformer, new fuse and a breaker that still trips instantly now! Any advice is welcome to solve this problem.

I never advocate simply unplugging loads and repowering, although many folks do just that. I recommend that proper ground fault testing be performed with a megger. Ground fault test the loads first. If there are no obvious faults in the various loads, disconnect the electricians wiring from the tub, isolate both ends of the circuit and fault test between the various conductors. I get a handful of jobs every year with damaged conductors due to an over-current condition that partially melts the conductor insulation. From your initial posts on this subject, that is a strong possibility.

John