Cuzn Disk For Spa Sanitation?

Liz Pool

I have a 1000 gal therapy pool that I use for my daughter with cerebral palsy. She is allergic to chlorine and we had to stop going in for the last few months. I am trying an alternative sanitation system sold by CUZU Water Systems. It is a 4" sponge like disk that is claimed to provide sanitation without chlorine. Has anyone tried this product? I am currently testing a fresh fill.

I have a 1000 gal therapy pool that I use for my daughter with cerebral palsy. She is allergic to chlorine and we had to stop going in for the last few months. I am trying an alternative sanitation system sold by CUZU Water Systems. It is a 4" sponge like disk that is claimed to provide sanitation without chlorine. Has anyone tried this product? I am currently testing a fresh fill.

It says it reduces chemicals not eliminates them. So what are you using to sanitize your water? Be careful it seems to me this is nothing more than fluff.

What tests or instrumentation are used to measure the level of sanitation or safety in a spa which uses no chlorine or bromine?

What method can be used to measure living things in the water that are harmful to bathers?

If your using the CUZU sanitiation exclusively there will not be any sanitizer in your water to measure. If your using no chlorine or bromine your water IS NOT sanitized. Nothing to measure. If your using the tub you are adding all kinds of bacteria and fecal matter and urine and nasty stuff coming from your pores. How do you measure it? Just keep using the CUZU system and nothing else and count how many times you end up at the doctors office.

• 7 years later...

I have used Spa Cuzn for 3 years or more in my 300 gallon hot tub and love it! It keeps my water clear, it doesn't involve any plastic (I  special order it without the pipe piece they supply to prevent product getting sucked into the system) and no chlorine. It lasts 4 - 5 months - maybe uses copper? - without any additional sanitizing than a small weekly dose of potassium monopersulfate shock. I'm in love with this product and want help figuring out if I should be concerned about using it. Best thing - zero testing required during the 3-5 months except at startup to initially balance the water. I highly recommend in terms of it working fantastically. 

We have been using CuZn for a few years in our 300 gallon, Hot Springs tub that we bought new in 1997 (plus 15 g potassium monopersulfate salt weekly and continuous ozonation). This product seems to work great - we have not used halogens in over ten years, my wife and I use the tub every night, and have never been ill, and the water looks perfect. I replace the CuZn 2x year when changing the water (we do not use tub June/July/August). What I want to know is exactly how the CuZn works - ie, exactly what are all the electrochemical, aqueous, biochemical and any other reactions going on that the CuZn takes part in - all balanced reactions and products, in as much detail as possible? My son and I are both chemists, but have little idea what is going on. Apparently the ozone and monopersulfate salt do not damage the CuZn matrix, but chlorine does. I have emailed the company asking this but no answers. Thanks in advance.