Good Price On A Master Twillight 8.25?

txbizman

Anyone care to share what a good price is on a master 8.25? Ive read till im blue in the face this raging war with dealers and the traveling circus, so Id like to keep it strickly on price. Could be someone who bought one, knows someone who bought one or maybe your the unhapy dealer who got stuck delivering all the tubs that were sold at the road show.

Thanks in advance!

I see you post that a lot, can you go into specifics? I own an appliance service company so if you asked me what brand of washer to buy, Id tell you what to get and what to stay away from and why.

So other than dealers hate the road show sucking sales from their show room, what dont you like about master spa or better yet name some spas that are in the 6-8k range, seat 7-8 have fancy LED's look elegant and have good jetting. Cause Im ready to buy one. I passed on the road show deal for 2 reasons. A I dont have my power run yet and B I still havent given the other top 5 brands a good look yet. But after getting quoted 10k for a bullfrog, im thinking Im going to have a hard time getting as much tub as the master spa twilight offers for under 7k.

Im all ears (eyes) :-)

Just for for comparison I dug back through my price quotes and these were what I had:

Marquis 545 -6600

(Marquis new off brand) Celebrity Hollywood $5200

Jacuzzi 245 - 7400$ msrp 6600$ actual

Jacuzzi 285 - 8800$ msr

Hot spot Rhythm $5800

All of these most people would say are very good middle of the road tubs with nice features, fit and finish.

But i'd like to know why specifically Master spa sucks. Or why any of these you just mentioned are better. I realize that I may be in for a fight when and if it needs service under warranty, Im ok with that. When its out of warranty I will take care of it myself or have one of my techs fix it so thats not a selling point for me. Saving 2k on a tub is.

Like is it the AO Smith Pumps? The Balboa controls? The Eco-pure filtration? The water way jets? The "whatever" ozonator they use? I mean at the end of the day its an tub with holes in it, some plumbing and the guts I just mentioned. I know its more technical than that but im an old school tech, and I see all these spa techs posting that they would "stay away" or they wouldnt "be on my list". I'd like to know why, from them, on terms I can relate to, so I can "X" them off my list.

Appliance repair you say? Mind answering some questions? How does Whirpool stand in the line up? Our new house, which we close in about two weeks, has all brand new Whirlpool appliances, minus the trash compacter which is a Profile, and we went out and bought a brand new Whirlpool Gold French Door fridge. We used to have Whirlpools many years ago before our Sub Zero and KitchenAide kitchen remodel, and found them to be decent, is that still true?

You are absolutely in good hands with any of those products (obviously sub z is a bit more expensive than whirlpool) Whirlpool is the best bang for the buck in domestic appliances IMHO. If you want to spend some $ then i could recomend some german made stuff, and not the ones that begin with a B.

But yes, they are still a great appliance company.

For now, I think we'll just stick with the Whirlpools, it'd be a shame to get rid of brand new appliances, they still have the stickers on them. They're nice enough. The Sub-Zero was left in our house in MI. Hope the new owners enjoy it. Redid the kitchen, and then moved 6 months later. Our current house has all Maytag. My only complaint has been the temp accuracy in the ovens, and the fridge has been a pain in the a**. At least the new house is already wired for a hot tub, with stamped concrete patios for the tub.

By any chance to you service central Vacuums? Our new house has a Beam central vac, but we have to order the tools, as the previous owner took them.

And on to Master Spas, I think they just have a bad rep from poor dealer support. My tub is built with some of the same things, Waterway jets/pumps, balboa controls, and similar designs. In the end, it's your spa, pick what you want. As long as you have a good dealer, you'll be set. Even if your dealer/Master goes under, Waterway jets are used on a lot of spas, and parts will always be readily available. Same with Balboa and AO Smith motors.

For now, I think we'll just stick with the Whirlpools, it'd be a shame to get rid of brand new appliances, they still have the stickers on them. They're nice enough. The Sub-Zero was left in our house in MI. Hope the new owners enjoy it. Redid the kitchen, and then moved 6 months later. Our current house has all Maytag. My only complaint has been the temp accuracy in the ovens, and the fridge has been a pain in the a**. At least the new house is already wired for a hot tub, with stamped concrete patios for the tub.

By any chance to you service central Vacuums? Our new house has a Beam central vac, but we have to order the tools, as the previous owner took them.

And on to Master Spas, I think they just have a bad rep from poor dealer support. My tub is built with some of the same things, Waterway jets/pumps, balboa controls, and similar designs. In the end, it's your spa, pick what you want. As long as you have a good dealer, you'll be set. Even if your dealer/Master goes under, Waterway jets are used on a lot of spas, and parts will always be readily available. Same with Balboa and AO Smith motors.

Good ole maytag.. the dependability company. Maytag ran themselves into the ground and were bought by Whirlpool a number of years ago..... long story. Dont know a thing about central vacuums other than they "suck" (pun intended)

I'll tell ya why I don't like Master Spa besides the traveling road show and deceptive sales practices. The are lacking on insulation and longevity. Seems they are mass produced with a lot of bling but not a lot of solid quality build. They cost a lot of run because of the lessor insulation and big power sucking motors. On the up side that creates powerfull jets. And the lights and stereos and cup holders make them flashy.

I'll tell ya why I don't like Master Spa besides the traveling road show and deceptive sales practices. The are lacking on insulation and longevity. Seems they are mass produced with a lot of bling but not a lot of solid quality build. They cost a lot of run because of the lessor insulation and big power sucking motors. On the up side that creates powerfull jets. And the lights and stereos and cup holders make them flashy.

I think the road show, from a business perspective is an old idea that still works for them... think of the wild west and snake oil salesman. However I dealt with 2 guys at this recent expo and I think it was their first time in our city and there were no deceptive practices or pressure. They shot me straight and I got a smoking deal on a tub. From my studies these tubs are assembled by hand. As far as insulation, looked fine to me but im in Texas and it isnt as big of a deal as say canada. If I want more insulation I could add it cheap. What do you base the longevity comment on specifically?

I hate car salesmen - but I still buy cars and have to deal with their rediculous methods. The pool and spa industry isn't any better than the dozens of little car dealerships with an inventory of 15 cars.

Yup, just like buying a car....

Expo sales experience VS local retailer i visited were IDENTICAL. Very informative on their product, quick to point out the inadequacies of other tubs...

Expo Price VS Retailer.... about 3k

I hate car salesmen - but I still buy cars and have to deal with their rediculous methods. The pool and spa industry isn't any better than the dozens of little car dealerships with an inventory of 15 cars.

Expo sales experience VS local retailer i visited were IDENTICAL. Very informative on their product, quick to point out the inadequacies of other tubs...

That is actually surprising to me. I visit the fairs to see what is offered in my area. Typically my regular showroom prices are cheaper on the identical tub at these shows.

What do you base the longevity comment on specifically?

Experience. They seem to be better than the value tubs offered as a secondary to a premium line or offered at box stores. These tubs last some-wheres between 5-8 years. You'd be hard pressed to find a Master that is still in running order after 10 or so years. Most of the premium brands last well over 10 and I have disposed of over 20 year old premium tubs.

Ok but what typically fails? The tub? Components? Or is it that folks who cant afford or dont want to pay the premium for a tub, also dont want to or cant afford to spend the $$ it takes to maintain the less expensive tub?

That's part of it but as you know there are 2x4's that are 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 and there are 2x4's that are 4 1/4 by 2 1/4 and everything in between. And this analogy stands true for acrylic, fiberglass, PVC, skirting material, frame material. Is the metal frame on a particular tub 16 gage or 20 gage? And if you cut a few corners then you end up with a product that may look great in the beginning but time, chemicals and weather take a toll quicker than on a tub that used say one grade or 2 grades higher in quality construction materials. It makes for a cheaper price but it also makes for a product that does not last as long.

It appears you already have the spa and its not like EVERY Master owner is doomed so hopefully you'll have good luck. I just think there are far better options out there and I don't hesitate to say so when people are looking. One thing I would not hesitate to act on is to better insulate it. That is one area where they save money in their process and their product is known to perform poorly on despite their sales/website story that tries to paint a picture of energy efficiency. If you're a DIYer put your effort into that, your time and materials will be compensated by lowered your energy bills.

It appears you already have the spa and its not like EVERY Master owner is doomed so hopefully you'll have good luck. I just think there are far better options out there and I don't hesitate to say so when people are looking. One thing I would not hesitate to act on is to better insulate it. That is one area where they save money in their process and their product is known to perform poorly on despite their sales/website story that tries to paint a picture of energy efficiency. If you're a DIYer put your effort into that, your time and materials will be compensated by lowered your energy bills.

Yes, and no one said it was a terrible product. But there are better products out there.

Have you never heard, you get what you pay for? If you pay 5 grand for a tub that lasts 10 years and 8 grand for a tub that lasts 18 who got the better deal? Add up total energy costs and maintenance you'll likely find the cheaper tub was a lot more expensive in the long run.

That is actually surprising to me. I visit the fairs to see what is offered in my area. Typically my regular showroom prices are cheaper on the identical tub at these shows.

Oh im sure they start out shooting a high price and some folks just whip out the credit card. Others negotiate what they feel is a fair price

At the time of this posting I had not pulled the trigger on it, however Monday I called up the factory rep too see if they still had the unit i was interested in and they did. Paid for it tuesday and it just showed up about an hour ago. Ill take your advice on the insulation... gonna be a week or two before i can fire it up. Thanks for all the input

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's up and running and I love it! Gonna have to now learn to keep the water chem correct. I'm on well water. About the insulation..... It was at 104 when I shut it down and covered it. 12 hours later it was at 102. Granted its in the 70's at night and high 80's during the day so not a big deal but I expected it to drop more.