Crushed Gravel Pad Finished

Ja4496

So a few weeks back I asked for input on a non concrete pad. And here are the results. Total cost was:

146$ plate compactor (2days)

221$ 6.7 tons of manufactured sand

40$ 4x4s and lag bolts

70$ 49 pavers

d2de8fc7.jpg

f10370d5.jpg

61888fd4.jpg

3fdf6427.jpg

57773c3e.jpg

624d678d.jpg

e3c0885c.jpg

10d0f9af.jpg

2a34d66b.jpg

I thought it turned out really well and perfectly level. My only compliant is that when I used the plate packer on the pavers they shifted a bit, not that it matters, just a pride thing....

My question is how long did it take to manually dig that hole?!?! On my yard, with all the rocks and the overall hardness of the ground, it would be impossible without some heavy equipment!

As for the pavers shifting... Pretty soon that will be hidden by a beautiful spa, so no worries!

I think the shovel is a plant for the picture. I'm guessing there was a jackhammer-ish instrument that made those marks on the sides.

40$ 4x4s and lag bolts

70$ 49 pavers

TOTAL - $477

Looks like roughly a 7'x7' pad

7'x7'x3-1/2" thick is 16-1/3 cubic feet ...roughly 2/3 of a cubic yard.

1 yard of concrete is roughly $150

Dig down only 3-1/2", use under $40 of 2x4 to frame it out. Find a place that sells concrete and loans a 1 yard trailer to take it home. Dump it in the form with a little wire reinforcement. Skreet it off with another 2x4 (you don't need to put a nice finish on the concrete, which will be covered by the spa :-)....and in under 4 hours (not including digging) you're done....for around $200.

Less than half the cost of the pavers (believe me, if you can lay pavers, concrete is MUCH easier), takes probably 1/4 the time, far less work, and being covered by 4000 pound of spa it really doesn't matter what it looks like....and if you ever want to take it out, $90 rental of a jack hammer and maybe 2 hours of time, and it's gone. Still less time and $ than the pavers.

My question is how long did it take to manually dig that hole?!?! On my yard, with all the rocks and the overall hardness of the ground, it would be impossible without some heavy equipment!

As for the pavers shifting... Pretty soon that will be hidden by a beautiful spa, so no worries!

It took me about 2 days 5 hours a day lol with a pick and a flat blade shovel. No heavy equipment, just a lot of hard work.

Sounds like you are very happy with the project and have earned a good soak in the new tub!

For others who read this thread in the future and may choose not to pour a concrete pad as outlined by Dr. Spa above, most people would not put a full depth of sand in the excavation. Usually a larger crushed aggregate is used for stability and a 1-1/2" or so sand setting bed for the pavers may be placed above the crushed rock, with sand swept into the joints. The perimeter material can keep the pavers in place and prevent them from moving and joints widening.

When I priced out concrete it was 130$ a yard for FG reinforced delivered in a ready mix truck. By my math an 8x8 6" pad with footer was going to need about 2.7 yards. Any delivery under 5 yards they tack on 75$ now add in $100 in gravel' 40$ in lumber, 40$ in floats and trows, 120$ in rebar, mesh, holders and visqueen and you are pushing 700$. Plus on top of all that ive never done concrete at that extent so I just chose to go with what I knew. I ended up with an adequate pad for 70$ over budget since I needed the packer for 2 days instead of one. It will also blend seamlessly with my pea gravel patio. You will only see 2" of paver on the back side butted up against the house and that's just because I was off slightly on my hole.

40$ 4x4s and lag bolts

70$ 49 pavers

TOTAL - $477

Looks like roughly a 7'x7' pad

7'x7'x3-1/2" thick is 16-1/3 cubic feet ...roughly 2/3 of a cubic yard.

1 yard of concrete is roughly $150

Dig down only 3-1/2", use under $40 of 2x4 to frame it out. Find a place that sells concrete and loans a 1 yard trailer to take it home. Dump it in the form with a little wire reinforcement. Skreet it off with another 2x4 (you don't need to put a nice finish on the concrete, which will be covered by the spa :-)....and in under 4 hours (not including digging) you're done....for around $200.

Less than half the cost of the pavers (believe me, if you can lay pavers, concrete is MUCH easier), takes probably 1/4 the time, far less work, and being covered by 4000 pound of spa it really doesn't matter what it looks like....and if you ever want to take it out, $90 rental of a jack hammer and maybe 2 hours of time, and it's gone. Still less time and $ than the pavers.

Sounds like you are very happy with the project and have earned a good soak in the new tub!

For others who read this thread in the future and may choose not to pour a concrete pad as outlined by Dr. Spa above, most people would not put a full depth of sand in the excavation. Usually a larger crushed aggregate is used for stability and a 1-1/2" or so sand setting bed for the pavers may be placed above the crushed rock, with sand swept into the joints. The perimeter material can keep the pavers in place and prevent them from moving and joints widening.

The full bed of sand was more work and agitate, but after researching I found the engineered sand(not beach sand) to be the best as far as compaction is concerned. Its basically road bond with no large particles. This should in theory reduce or eliminate settling. I also went 16" deep plus 3.5 inches within the 4x4 barrier. By going that deep I was in undisturbed soil so there shouldn't be any wash out or settling concern. Maybe a bit overkill but solid. Also I packed it at 2" intervals for extremely tight compaction.

• 8 years later...