Possible Main Drain Break?

mj1212

My pool is 20' X 40' inground vinyl lined. 2 skimmers, 4 jets, and a main drain (MD). Recently, the MD doesn't draw. I have placed air into the lines from the skimmers and the line close to the pump -- I do get bubbles from the MD and the skimmers. The skimmers pull very good; however, the MD does not pull at all.

I thought if I placed air thru the lines and it was clogged it would have cleared with the air -- but I get clean bubbles. If the line is broken would I still be able to get air thur it without pushing out dirt, leaves, gravel, etc?

Any way -- I need assistance on this. I could have someone and run a camera thru to see where (and if) there is a break. The water is clear, other than the bottom stays a little dirty -- I have a cleaner for that though.

Any suggestions before I start calling for repairs?

What is the set-up on the equipment pad? Does the MD join the two skimmers prior to the pump? If so, prime through the skimmers with the MD off. Once it runs for a minute or so, slowly open the MD valve ever so slightly. Air will come into the pump fo a short time, but eventuially should pull through the MD without air. Once that happens open MD in full. The other thing to check its that sometimes in cold climates, installers will put a valve stem in the supply like of the MD to allow for clearing the MD of water for winter pool closing. These stems can leak and if you have one put your finger tip over it while the pump is running to see if there is a leak in the valve seat.