Did I Receive Two Bad Motors?

jayfire

My problem I am having with my Marquis spa is that my old motor was blowing a fuse every month, but was still working properly. I bought a new GE Marathon motor from the Spa Depot (3HP 230 volt, 10/2.9 amps, 2 speed) and it will cycle on/off non stop on low speed only, but works fine on high speed. This is with the wet end attached and with a load of water on it. When it has no load (water), it will run fine in both speeds. I called Spa Depot and they sent me a replacement motor, no questions asked, just had to send them the sticker off the other one. I got the new one in, installed it, and it is doing the EXACT same thing! I reinstalled the wet end on my old motor and installed it, and works just fine in low and high speed. My dilemma with the old motor is it has two different stickers on it with two different model numbers, so I do not know which one is the right one. (The spa is wired 220 volt). First sticker reads: Ultima 230 volt, 11.9/3.3 amps, 2 speed, and the sticker next to that one says: Ultra Jet by Vico 115 volt, 11.9/3.9 amps, 2 speed. Both have different model numbers. Anyone have a direction I should look? Spa Depot claims I did not receive two bad motors. Anyone think maybe the new motor could be a little too small?? Please help. Thanks

What voltage does the pack put out to the motor on each speed??

John

This is what I got for voltages on the new motor. (White=Common, Red=High Speed, Black=Low Speed, Green=Ground).

Low Speed-No Load-- W-R=85 volts

W-B=120 volts

W-G=85 volts

B-R=120 volts

Low Speed-With Load--W-R=5 volts

W-B=120 volts

W-G=220 volts on and off

High Speed-No Load--W-R=120 volts

W-B= All over the place

W-G=220 volts

B-R=120 volts

High Speed-With Load-W-R=120 volts

W-B=5 volts

W-G=5 volts

Anyone have any input on the results I got from this? Thanks

This is how it should look w/load:

Low speed

W-B: 220V

W-R: 0V

High Speed

W-B: 0V

W-R: 220V

you shouldn't have any voltage between neutral & ground. you're either missed wired these pumps, have bad pump cords, or your circuit board is no good.

This is how it should look w/load:

Low speed

W-B: 220V

W-R: 0V

High Speed

W-B: 0V

W-R: 220V

If you disconnect the wires from the motor and test, this would be correct. However, if the wires are still connected to the motor, voltage will typically back feed through the motors windings and give you a 220v reading where 0V is listed above.