Pics - 99 Sovereign I Picked Up For $150

Davidpsalt

Thought I would post some pics of my project tub for the cabin. I picked this up from a neighbor who had drained it last fall and failed to get all the water out of the jet pump and heater - hence the wet end of the pump and the heater are shot. Also, look at the bad plumbing job someone did on the replacement circ pump! All those additional fittings are there because the diameter of the inlet and outlet ports on the circ pump are 1" vs. the 3/4" tubing.

2011-11-27_17-15-09_822.jpg

Here is a close up - all this is coming out and will be replaced with a new circ pump, heater and tubing back to factory spec:

2011-11-27_16-44-18_400.jpg

Lastly - look at what was left behind by critters living in there for the past year ... not a fun job scraping this out of there but have since cleaned it all out and will bleach the crap out of the equipment bay to get rid of the "rodent poop" smell.

2011-11-29_14-01-43_449.jpg

This Sovereign looks like it will clean right up. I have re-furbed about 80-100 tubs and I always forget to take pics of the before and after. I need to start doing that.

I usually do the same thing....rip out all of the components, then hose out the mouse-infested motor compartment. The last bit of dirt usually comes off pretty easily with some Fantastic Oxy Clean and a magic eraser sponge.

It's amazing what some cleaning and a few coats of stain will do.

Good to know - will use the same approach on brightening up the equipment bay.

Do you have any recommendations on what type of stain to use? I am guessing since the previous owner has already painted the Everwood with what looks like an exterior latex paint I may be stuck with just painting it with Sherwin Williams paint. Or is there an easy way to strip off that latex paint without damaging the Everwood? New Everwood appears to be sold by the stick and look to be way too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post some pictures?

Has anyone tried staining the redwood colored everwood a darker color to match the current "esspresso"?

I also use the Behr stain. Spend the extra few dollars and get the premium deck/fence/siding stain (green can in the Behr brand). I have 4-5 gallons of different colors that I use on the refurbished tubs. May have some pics I can post on my work computer but I think I deleted most after selling the tubs. Those first generation everwood cabinets (99-2001) take a stain quite nicely.

I believe the Behr (Cordovan Brown) is what I use that is the closest to the Expresso color.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! It looks great! How much $ do you think you put into the whole thing?

Did you end up stripping the latex paint off or just go over it with the SW?

That looks fantastic!

:)

You should now get yourself a Covermate Easy (easiest lift to install given your side clearances) if you have 18" or more on the back it will work nice for you. And get a cover that is made for that model, the one you have apparently is not the correct one, and a better fit = better energy savings.

Thanks guys.

Trigger - I paid $150 for the tub and put a new heater and circ pump in it for about $325. I paid $40 for the gallon of SW Solid Deck stain. I did not strip the previous paint off the Everwood siding - I gave it a really good wash down with a nylon scrub brush and after drying out for a couple days I brushed on the SW. It covered extremely well with only one coat so it went on fairly thin and did not adversly affect the grain appearance of the siding.

Spa Guru and Spatech - I am absolutely going to get rid of the cover that came with it and put a cover mate of some kind on it. I am all ears on what cover to buy and which system will be the best in terms of the Cover Mate.

I have 15 inches of clearance on both sides and approximately 23-24 Inches of clearance from the back wall.

I encourage any and all advice on what to buy and where online. I am not convinced that spending $460 for a cover from the Hot Springs dealer provides me the best cover for the money - but hey, I am all ears from those that have experience with covers. I have no experience so I am looking too all those on this forum to provide some insight.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

The plus of using a Hot Spring Cover is that you know it will fit your Sovereign. Also you can add on one of their cover assists which are the easiest to lift!

As for the lift, if you get a factory original, I would suggest the UpRite. That has not clearance needed for the tight spot you have it in.

Tub looks great!