Cannot Get Rid Of Foam!

Figgy33

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum (or any forum for that matter), so please bear with me. I'm just going to brain dump everything, as not really sure what is relevant!

I have a new Jacuzzi 230CD that I have owned now for only about 6 weeks. In terms of chemicals, I have been using those supplied with it, i.e. Jacuzzi branded chlorine, pH+, pH- and Oxidiser.

Throughout the time I've had it, the pH, total alkalinity and chlorine levels have been kept within the IDEAL band on the Jacuzzi test strips, these being 7.6, 120ppm and 5.0mg/l respectively (testing daily). The cyanuric acid and total hardness are also within the IDEAL band. Please excuse any metric measurements, but I am from the UK!

My major issue is foam. Even after the first 2 weeks foam started to form and stays there like bubble bath for over a minute after the jets are turned off. I purchased some anti-foam stuff, but I've stopped using it as it only works for one sitting before the foam comes back next time round.

I read on this forum that new tubs sometimes have left over manufacturing chemicals in the pipes, so I emptied the whole tub and refilled it (after only 4 weeks). The foam is now coming back again, which is more than a little frustrating.

My wife and I deliberately make sure we're not covered in moisturiser etc when we get in, plus we wash our swimwear in clean water after each visit to the tub. When we have friends over I give it a dose of Oxidiser (about 70g, or 3oz), but this doesn't seem to have an effect on the foam.

I hose the filter once a week and clean it with chemicals every 3/4 weeks (I have 2 which I alternate for this).

PLEASE HELP AS THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

What is your calcium hardness?

Total hardness doesn't mean much. Our tub was foaming, and very low calcium hardness was the culprit.

If your calcium hardness is low, and you raise it, and still get foaming (and you know it isn't attributable to - or is more than what is attributable to - body oils, detergents, etc.), you may need to do a full-on decontamination. Instructions are posted as a sticky in this forum.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Jacuzzi test strip is most unhelpful, detailing the hardness as simply 'Total Hardness'. Judging by the colour this could possibly be the issue (it appears to be somewhere between 0 and 250 ppm), although I do know I live in a hard water area.

What should I add to raise the level?

The Palintest Pooltester SP 315C will test for everything you would need in a pool or spa. It tests for Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine (CC), pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness (CH) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). If you don't need the CYA test, then you can get the SP 315. Note that test strips do not measure calcium hardness, only total hardness. This is why you need a drop-based test kit such as the ones I just mentioned (unfortunately the Palintest FAS-DPD is not available in the U.K.)

Figgy33, until you get a proper testing kit, take a sample of your tub water to your dealer where you bought the spa. They will test in a matter of minutes and should be of no charge. In fact, any dealer will test water for you. Then they can provide you with the right product and tell you the amount needed to correct your Calcium level. I had to do the same thing. Good news is once you get the correct level, it stays pretty stable until your next fill. It was not expensive and only took a few ounces. Keep us posted as this is how we (ME) learn.

The Palintest Pooltester SP 315C will test for everything you would need in a pool or spa. It tests for Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine (CC), pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness (CH) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). If you don't need the CYA test, then you can get the SP 315. Note that test strips do not measure calcium hardness, only total hardness. This is why you need a drop-based test kit such as the ones I just mentioned (unfortunately the Palintest FAS-DPD is not available in the U.K.)

Thanks for the tip Chem Geek. I've just ordered one of the SP 315's off their distributor. Cost quite a bit with the 250 refills (and healthy carriage fee), but hoping it is worth it long term! I did actually call my local hot tub supplier first, but they said it's not worth testing sample water as it is not at the correct temperature. Having said that, I have very little faith in them as they are a small outlet with little experience. I asked them about testing kits and he knew next to nothing.

The kit is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I will post the results then so that you can make some recommendations. Thanks all for the tips.

If the Calcium Hardness (CH) level is below 120 ppm, then raise it to 120-150 ppm to see if it helps to reduce foaming.

Thanks for the tip Chem Geek. I've just ordered one of the SP 315's off their distributor. Cost quite a bit with the 250 refills (and healthy carriage fee), but hoping it is worth it long term! I did actually call my local hot tub supplier first, but they said it's not worth testing sample water as it is not at the correct temperature. Having said that, I have very little faith in them as they are a small outlet with little experience. I asked them about testing kits and he knew next to nothing.

The kit is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I will post the results then so that you can make some recommendations. Thanks all for the tips.

Don't blame you for the lack of confidence in the dealer. I don't think (I could be wrong) that the temp has too much to do with the Calcium Hardness.

If the Calcium Hardness (CH) level is below 120 ppm, then raise it to 120-150 ppm to see if it helps to reduce foaming.

Right then. Got my Palintester through the post and just did all four tests. They came out as follows:

Total alkalinity = 60mg/l

pH = below 6.8 (the tester doesn't go lower)

Chlorine = over 6.0

Calcium hardness = 260mg/l

This gave an overall 'balanced water index' of 10.3 (corrosive).

I compared this with the test strips I was using and the results are completely different. This at least justifies the purchase of the Palintester. I took it upon myself to immediately add an egg cup full of pH+ granules (Jacuzzi branded). I guess the chlorine will just burn off with time.

What do I use to raise the alkalinity? Ideally, where should all the above four readings be? Any other suggestions??

Still got the same level of foam, although I guess getting the above levels balanced is the primary task!

Right then. Got my Palintester through the post and just did all four tests. They came out as follows:

Chlorine = over 6.0

I compared this with the test strips I was using and the results are completely different. This at least justifies the purchase of the Palintester. I took it upon myself to immediately add an egg cup full of pH+ granules (Jacuzzi branded). I guess the chlorine will just burn off with time.

What do I use to raise the alkalinity? Ideally, where should all the above four readings be? Any other suggestions??

Still got the same level of foam, although I guess getting the above levels balanced is the primary task!

use this...it is a life saver.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Chlorine = over 6.0

use this...it is a life saver.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Useful tool. This shows that my TA is actually about right and my calcium hardness is definitely not low (quite the opposite). Once I get the pH up again then I'm well within the target ranges.

This is all good, but I still have the fecking foam!

Now, that you have a proper test kit and your getting your water balanced, you'll be able to monitor and maintain good sanitary water once your foaming issue is resolved.

You mentioned you emptied your tub and refilled it, but you did not say you did anything to clean out the tub other than replace the water. Another poster suggested you might need to 'decontaminate' your tub. I recommend the decontamination protocol be followed for any tub, new or used, before anyone takes their first soak. It greatly reduces the chance that the new owner will have the issues you've encountered.

However, as an alternative to decontamination, you might try super-chlorinating your tub. By 'super-chlorinating', I mean bringing your FC level up to about 15ppm, which is less than the super-duper-chlorine concentration used in the 'decontamination' protocol. Decontamination requires an FC concentration of about 30ppm.

Add enough regular clorox bleach to your water to bring your FC level up to about 15 ppm. You can use the pool calculator to see the amount necessary for your size tub considering the FC level at the time. Keep your cover off the tub while you run your jets for about an hour. Test your water the next morning to see what your FC level is and see if you still have foaming. Also check your pH level. If you still have foaming after super-chlorinating, you made want to consider following the entire decontamination protocol. If you no longer have foaming and all other chemicals are within desirable parameters, wait until your FC level drops to about 7ppm before taking a soak. Exposing your tub to sunlight will consume some of the chlorine.

gman