Spa Privacy

I'm new to the forum so please direct me if this question should go elsewhere. We just got a hot tub last week (Marquis Everyday 660) and love it!! We live in Michigan. I love the cover and lifter as it provides privacy on the west side of our house from our neighbors.

We would like privacy on the South side (and possibly North) since winters get cold. I was thinking about a privacy fence on one or both sides, but then came up with a different idea....aluminum fence posts 6 feet high on the north side and south side of the tub with grommet curtains so we have the choice of pulling them closed or leaving one side open. My problem is finding a curtain (or fabric) that will withstand snow, ice, wind, etc.

With a $7,000 hot tub I want it to look great and not cheap. Anybody who lives in a cold winter climate have any ideas or suggestions?

I'm new to the forum so please direct me if this question should go elsewhere. We just got a hot tub last week (Marquis Everyday 660) and love it!! We live in Michigan. I love the cover and lifter as it provides privacy on the west side of our house from our neighbors.

We would like privacy on the South side (and possibly North) since winters get cold. I was thinking about a privacy fence on one or both sides, but then came up with a different idea....aluminum fence posts 6 feet high on the north side and south side of the tub with grommet curtains so we have the choice of pulling them closed or leaving one side open. My problem is finding a curtain (or fabric) that will withstand snow, ice, wind, etc.

With a $7,000 hot tub I want it to look great and not cheap. Anybody who lives in a cold winter climate have any ideas or suggestions?

I did a quick search and found many places where you can purchase either already made curtains that are fade and mildew resistant,or fabrics where you can make your own curtains.Bed Bath and Beyond has curtains as well as Plow & Hearth,and almost any fabric store should carry fabric.Other ideas is check with RV companies,and places that sell outdoor furniture.

<br />I'm new to the forum so please direct me if this question should go elsewhere. We just got a hot tub last week (Marquis Everyday 660) and love it!! We live in Michigan. I love the cover and lifter as it provides privacy on the west side of our house from our neighbors. <br /><br />We would like privacy on the South side (and possibly North) since winters get cold. I was thinking about a privacy fence on one or both sides, but then came up with a different idea....aluminum fence posts 6 feet high on the north side and south side of the tub with grommet curtains so we have the choice of pulling them closed or leaving one side open. My problem is finding a curtain (or fabric) that will withstand snow, ice, wind, etc.<br /><br />With a $7,000 hot tub I want it to look great and not cheap. Anybody who lives in a cold winter climate have any ideas or suggestions?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Here is another solution you might consider...sliding wood panels. This may be too permanent a solution for you, but I think it might serve you better in the long run (given most people keep their tubs for 10+ years. Since you have to construct footings for your fence posts, you could install a wooden framework to support panels that you can open and close for privacy as needed. This might provide more durability than a curtain and (to my aesthetic sensibility) be more visually appealing.

Just a thought.

gman

munchkinmenus - Sometimes a solution can be found by thinking outside the box.

Pick a time when you know the neighbors are home. Get the tub set up and make sure that you are not wearing swim suits, even if you usually do. Have some music playing loud enough that you know it will attract the neighbor's attention. Then just walk around, drink in hand, and watch for the neighbors out of the corner of your eye. When you see them at the window, turn to face them full-on and raise your glass in a little toast to them and wave.

Unless you and your spouse are a very attractive couple, you will never have to worry about your neighbors spotting you again. In fact, they are likely to construct a screen of some sort of their property.

ok Spawn!!! Now that's funny!!!! My one neighbor did see myself and my kids out last Saturday with our bathing suits on, in the rain. It was about 40 degrees and we were crossing the patio to the tub. She didn't know we got one and when I saw her on Halloween she said she was close to calling someone to have me committed because I was outside with my children in the cold and we were in bathing suits! lol

I had a white privacy fence about 25' from the tub for privacy, but didn't like the look at all. Too much glare when the sun was beating down.

I ended up putting a row of arborvitae around the corner and on two sides. They grow fairly fast and stay green all year for privacy. I put them very close together so in a year or two they should form a wall. Right now there is maybe 8 inches between them.

We have an arbour over our tub and I have had some panels made from the material used to make sail covers. Lots of colours to choose from, attached to the Arbour with shockcord and eyelets in the panels. Waterproof and the material has a 15 year guarentee. Excellent for both privacy and wind protection.

Source through a local sailmaker.

Yep. My climate isn't as cold as Michigan but it does get cold here, and after a "no winter year" in 2008-09 -- when I had no working tub -- we replaced ours in late 2009. After a 55F New Year's Eve, we got slaughtered with snow.

Our back deck leads out to a staircase down into a fenced-off area. On that side of the house, we have a 10-foot high fence. It's made of cedar, and it's not a picket fence, but a bit nicer. I have to stain it every 2 years or so.

I had it put up around 1998 when we had "hot tub II". We are now on our third (since 1984). The fence is 10 feet high on one side, six feet all around, but the 10 foot side is for privacy from the neighbors on one side. Please read on.

We have neighbors on two sides of us. We also have a very STRINGENT rule - no clothing, no bathing suits permitted in the hot tub at ANY time.

And we mean it.

On one side - the neighbors are cool with our mode of use. On the other, where the 10-foot fence is, we have never addressed it -- but on our side they have the bedrooms of their teenage sons. I don't think we're going to have any problems with them if they should happen to see a nude woman.

Still - I have a rule -- "Gentlemen, please wrap something around your waist on the back deck -- ladies, please wrap up appropriately until you are down in the fenced-in area." Unfortunately, many people, especially the ladies, have a tendency to forget that rule upon leaving the tub. So far I've had no complaints.

So that's how we handle it...

And it doesn't look cheap -- I still have to landscape within the backyard fenced-in area, but I think it will be fine.

• 1 month later...

You will prefer the look of wood panels. We have a pergola over the tub and removable wooden frames for the winter. The frames support bi-fold style windows/doors to allow for open or closure depending on the breeze. Works great and I assure you, living in northern Canada we get some very chilly winter nights. -20C was the cut-off for us until I installed this setup. We've hit -30C with relative comfort. Of course it's a quick dip as the tub can't hold the temperature for much longer then 15 minutes or so.

I live in Michigan too. Its dark so early here in the winter months, that the darkness provides plenty of privacy. We dont have any fences around, as I dont like the closed in feeling. so, when it is light out and our kids are home, the suits are on. when its dark out and the kids are gone, then suits are optional. We just turn the lights in the house off, since our tub is next to the house. Makes for a better experience for us too.

If the neighbors get to nosey, i just invite them over sans suits, and they havent bothered us again, nor do they sit by the windows watching either.