Help 2001 Hotspring Grandee

cfjara

Hi, I inherited a 2001 Hotspring Grandee with the purchase of my home 3 years ago. It worked well but noticed that sometimes the topside Control Panel buttons would not respond well. This symptom eventually got worse and the Control Panel would not respond at all recently. ( blank screen ) Part # 73225. I went ahead and reset the circuit breakers and the Control Panel would come up and function...but after about 5 minutes it would go blank again and not respond. I went ahead and ordered a replacement control panel part # 73225 and replaced the part myself. The Control panel came up and worked fine except -- The Jet 1 and Jet 2 button would not respond. Every other button works well. The 'Clean' button works and turns on the pump. I even then tried the Aux Control panel and it will successfully turn on Jets 1 and Jets 2..so that led me to believe the IQ2020 is ok. The only problem is the Jet 1 and Jet 2 from the Control Panel. I tried all other functions ( Lock, Temp Lock , Summer mode , etc ) and they all work well. I went ahead and put the old control panel back in as a test and the Jet 1 and Jet 2 buttons would successfully turn on the pumps. I am puzzled. I'm wondering if there is some other "reset" or programming function which will make this new COntrol Panel work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would think the next step would be to replace the IQ2020....but I'd hate to be overlooking something trivial.

The screen goes blank after about 30 seconds, this is normal.

If it becomes non-responsive, instead of replacing it, be sure that the high limit has not tripped (flashing power light).

Since the problem is somewhat intermittent, remove the faceplate from the control head, and depress the buttons directly on the control head. The faceplate may not be pushing the buttons on the control head properly, or may be too tight, causing it to lock up.

If it works without the faceplate, this tells you the control head is fine.

If it becomes non-responsive, instead of replacing it, be sure that the high limit has not tripped (flashing power light).

Since the problem is somewhat intermittent, remove the faceplate from the control head, and depress the buttons directly on the control head. The faceplate may not be pushing the buttons on the control head properly, or may be too tight, causing it to lock up.

It goes blank...but never comes back. It's pretty much dead until i reset the main 20 amp breaker. <<---( this is the old one which is broken )

On the new Control Panel I purchased...

There are no flashing light when I turn on the 20amp followed by the 30 amp. Everything seems normal other than the Jet 1 and Jet 2 button turning the pumps on.

I removed the faceplate and pushed the buttons directly on the circuit board. ( Jet 1 and Jet 2) but they won't work.

It goes blank...but never comes back. It's pretty much dead until i reset the main 20 amp breaker. <<---( this is the old one which is broken )

On the new Control Panel I purchased...

There are no flashing light when I turn on the 20amp followed by the 30 amp. Everything seems normal other than the Jet 1 and Jet 2 button turning the pumps on.

I removed the faceplate and pushed the buttons directly on the circuit board. ( Jet 1 and Jet 2) but they won't work.

Sorry if I'm being redundant, just want to be sure we're not missing anything.

At the point when the main control head will not energize the pumps, does the auxiliary control still energize the pumps? Is the power light still lit red?

No apologies ... any feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

At the point when the main control head will not energize the pumps..the power light is still RED..and I then walk over to the AUX Control and both Jet 1 and Jet 2 button will turn on and energize the pumps.

No apologies ... any feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

At the point when the main control head will not energize the pumps..the power light is still RED..and I then walk over to the AUX Control and both Jet 1 and Jet 2 button will turn on and energize the pumps.

Gotcha, and thanks.

I suspect a bad control head. The old control head at least energizes pump one and pump two, while the new one does not. Since you disconnected the bezel/faceplate, and are directly depressing the buttons on the control head, and it will not work on the new one, it's bad.

Don't replace the IQ2020. Call the place you ordered the control head from, and tell them it is not working properly. It's rare, but it happens.

Thanks for your reply.

UPdate: I went back to the place I bought the Control Head from. After 30 minutes of convincing them I did not break or install the part incorrectly they agreed to exchange the part and reminded of their "NO returns/exchange" policy. That's the last time I go back there.

Anyways the new part came packaged in a sealed pink wrap. The previous part did not which led me to believe the part I had just returned was either a "take-off" or "re-used" part. I was feeling good about the new part.

I got home installed the new part and was disappointed when the symptom stayed the same. Jet1 and Jet 2 buttons would not work.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe there isn't a good connection between the ribbon cable and the IQ2020 board. Should I try to wedge the pins on the IQ2020 board a little to create more friction between the connector and the pins?

Does the fact that the AUX Control works fine mean the IQ2020 is ok.

Anyone have schematics for the IQ2020 ?

I'm still puzzled. Thanks in advance for more input/feedback

Thanks for your reply.

UPdate: I went back to the place I bought the Control Head from. After 30 minutes of convincing them I did not break or install the part incorrectly they agreed to exchange the part and reminded of their "NO returns/exchange" policy. That's the last time I go back there.

Anyways the new part came packaged in a sealed pink wrap. The previous part did not which led me to believe the part I had just returned was either a "take-off" or "re-used" part. I was feeling good about the new part.

I got home installed the new part and was disappointed when the symptom stayed the same. Jet1 and Jet 2 buttons would not work.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe there isn't a good connection between the ribbon cable and the IQ2020 board. Should I try to wedge the pins on the IQ2020 board a little to create more friction between the connector and the pins?

Does the fact that the AUX Control works fine mean the IQ2020 is ok.

Anyone have schematics for the IQ2020 ?

I'm still puzzled. Thanks in advance for more input/feedback

The new control head comes with a new cable, so we know the cable is good. But I would check the pins to see if any are crooked on the IQ2020 receptacle. It's very unusual the old control head will temporarily energize pump one and pump two, while the new control heads will not not. Have you tried disconnecting the auxiliary control while testing, to ensure it's not interfering with the control head operation? I know you already mentioned spa lock, and temp lock functions work, so I know you don't have it locked...

Do you see the small led's on the IQ2020 labled lim ok, htr on, and control unplugged? What's the status of those led's?

Ok. I'll try the following when I get home.

Power off 20 and 30 amp.

Disconnect Aux Control.

Turn on 20 and 30 amp.

Test again.

I am going from memory here but I'll confirm when I get home.

I did see the small LEDs on the IQ2020. There are 3. The top one is Power for the IQ, the next one is the Control panel status and the last one is the heater status. The IQ LED is always on. The Control Panel status seems to be ok. When I unplugged the Control Head, the light would blink . The heater LED turns on when the heater turns on. I also noticed a 4th LED closer to the bottom of the IQ which I believe has something to do with the pumps. When I turn the pumps on this LED turns on. When the pumps are off the LED does off. Its worth noting that when I use the Aux Panel, I can hear the relays clicking followed by the energizing of the pumps. When I try with the Control head.. I don't hear any relays clicking therefore I think the IQ may not be even be getting a signal from the control panel.

• 10 months later...