$900 For 1999 Well-Kept Sundance Altamar?

mjgold

Hi all, I am considering buying a 1999 well-kept Sundance Altamar (with cover and accessories) on Craigslist for $900. The circuit board was replaced in 2005.

What do you think of buying a model this old if it was cared for well? Has the model changed much since then?

Thanks!

Mark

A twelve year old spa seldom travels well, regardless of how it is cared for, or who makes it.

Plumbing that is now 12 years old has shrunk, straining existing glue joints, add to that the strain of moving it.... your odds of having a spa full of nusiance leaks in the foam are pretty high.

Age, ozone, hot water, and chemicals all make PVC more brittle over time, this is why a 15 year old working spa is such a rarity in any brand.

The cabinet and frame are held together with staples, and after this long, rely heavily on the foam for structure, the elevating and transportation of the spa will put stress on the foam, and therefore on the plumbing.

This is why most manufacturers only warranty a spa structure in it's original location, even if it is only a couple years old.

Spa_Guru, that makes sense. I'll pass on this listing.

Thanks for all your advice!

A twelve year old spa seldom travels well, regardless of how it is cared for, or who makes it.

Plumbing that is now 12 years old has shrunk, straining existing glue joints, add to that the strain of moving it.... your odds of having a spa full of nusiance leaks in the foam are pretty high.

Age, ozone, hot water, and chemicals all make PVC more brittle over time, this is why a 15 year old working spa is such a rarity in any brand.

The cabinet and frame are held together with staples, and after this long, rely heavily on the foam for structure, the elevating and transportation of the spa will put stress on the foam, and therefore on the plumbing.

This is why most manufacturers only warranty a spa structure in it's original location, even if it is only a couple years old.

Well, I have a 1994 HotSprings Jetsetter that has been moved may times, it has no leaks, and runs very well, it was even left for a winter empty. If it has actually had great care like you have suggested, then I would seriously consider it. Make sure you only buy it full of water and running, I would recommend having it professionally moved. You could probably talk them down a little bit on price. Spa_Guru- I may be wrong, but I haven't seen many warranties that are like that, assuming the spa is moved by your dealer, they should still warranty it.

Many warranties do have a clause of original location.

I don't remember the exact year(s), but wasn't 1999 one of the years of bad glue due to VOC restrictions?

I do know Sundance did have a problem with bad glue, but I don't remember the exact years.

Everyone had glue problems when the when the reduced VOC rules came into effect.

Why do people respond to questions, just to say they don't know the answer?????????:wacko:

Dunno, manage to get 240 out of two wires of 3 phase yet? :lol:

Every day... You should have read the other response that explained the different types of 3 phase and how the type we have here will give straight 240v from any 2 legs (as I previously said). If you need some help understanding it, I'd be happy to help. :rolleyes:

The years of bad glue joints was mid 94 to mid 96 and in 1998 sundance introduced barb and clamp technology that eliminated that problem there is a few glue joints left in 98 to 99 models on the suction fittings where it is reduced down from 2 inch to 3/4 inch some times would leak but not often if the spa runs good and the cabinet is in good shape buy it it is a steal you might have to replace the intelli jets they have bearings in them but they are not much about 30 a piece depends on where you buy them from also one more thing on that model to look at is the remote panel they are prone to go out if so just unplug it at the ribbon conection inside the circuit board and use the main control panel but that is cheap for that tub if it works good a new Altamr on my floor with no stereo sells for $9995.00 plus. Check the pump seals especially the one speed on the left look too see if you have any white calcium build up around the shaft that is a good indecation that the seal has leaked hope this helps if you have any more questions fell free to email me at premierhottubs@etcmail.com