Thoughts On Pool Closing?

Don

Hey gang,

Well here it is August already, won't be long and I will have to decide what to do this year about my pool for the off season.

A little background:

I bought this house in Oct of 08, pool already here - first time I have had a pool, boy was I a newbie. The pool is app 18x36, app 18k gallons.

Behind the pool, around 15 ft away, is one heck of a tree line. Nice in the spring/summer, as it gives us total privacy in the pool. Fall/winter though, is a total pain.

So the first year, I left the pool open. Whoa, was I fishing a ton of leaves out of the bottom for several weeks. I am pretty sure some leaves came froom several counties away! ( I live in mid TN ). It was pretty, having the pool open and running throughout the winter months, was a lot of work for a while though.

Second year - I had the local pool store, close up and winterize the pool - had a plastic cover put over it, with the water tubes to hold it in place. Still somewhat of a pain, as I had to pump the rain water off the pool cover every time it rained much.And of course, scoop the leaves off the top.

Third year - last year - I odered a mesh cover , it had a very fine mesh in it, to allow rain water to drain through it into the pool. I left the pool running all winter, with this mesh cover over the top of it. Still of course, had to scoop the leaves off the top, but did not have to pump rainwater off it. After the majority of the leaves had fallen, like around Christmas time, I took the cover off.

So here I am contemplating what would be best for this year. Winterize and close it again? Put the mesh cover on and let it run? Leave it totally open and just scoop the leaves off the bottom? I guess there are no truly great options, as each of them still requires some pain level. What I truly would really like, is a safety cover or an automatic cover, but think both of those would be out of my budget, at this time.

My wife would like it to be left open all the time, as she thinks those covers with water tubes are ugly, but understands the work involved.

So I am curious, what do most people here do, that have a pool close to several trees?

Thanks for any feedback,

Don

In NJ, we winterize due to freezing temps.

Is your mesh cover a safety cover or tarp style. A safety cover, with properly taut straps should sit above the water. Any leaves blow off, or if they landed in the rain, will blow off when they dry. If the cover sags into the water, it's too loosely attached and needs the springs brought closer to the cover's edge to shorten the straps.

Scott

Thanks for the reply.

No the mesh cover, is just an inexpensive tarp type cover that lays on top of the water, and is secured with the water tubes on the pool deck, laying on the cover.

I think I would really like a safety cover, but those are pretty costly right?

Hmm, just took a look at some prices on PoolSupplyWorld.

Maybe it is not totally out of range for me.

Questions:

What would be better, mesh or solid?

Would the pool need to be closed, or can it be left running?

Installation - is it very hard, can I do myself or better to let a professional install?

Looks like for me, this might be the lowest maintenance option. I think my wife might like it's looks better as well :)

Don

Hey gang,

Well here it is August already, won't be long and I will have to decide what to do this year about my pool for the off season.

A little background:

I bought this house in Oct of 08, pool already here - first time I have had a pool, boy was I a newbie. The pool is app 18x36, app 18k gallons.

Behind the pool, around 15 ft away, is one heck of a tree line. Nice in the spring/summer, as it gives us total privacy in the pool. Fall/winter though, is a total pain.

So the first year, I left the pool open. Whoa, was I fishing a ton of leaves out of the bottom for several weeks. I am pretty sure some leaves came froom several counties away! ( I live in mid TN ). It was pretty, having the pool open and running throughout the winter months, was a lot of work for a while though.

Second year - I had the local pool store, close up and winterize the pool - had a plastic cover put over it, with the water tubes to hold it in place. Still somewhat of a pain, as I had to pump the rain water off the pool cover every time it rained much.And of course, scoop the leaves off the top.

Third year - last year - I odered a mesh cover , it had a very fine mesh in it, to allow rain water to drain through it into the pool. I left the pool running all winter, with this mesh cover over the top of it. Still of course, had to scoop the leaves off the top, but did not have to pump rainwater off it. After the majority of the leaves had fallen, like around Christmas time, I took the cover off.

So here I am contemplating what would be best for this year. Winterize and close it again? Put the mesh cover on and let it run? Leave it totally open and just scoop the leaves off the bottom? I guess there are no truly great options, as each of them still requires some pain level. What I truly would really like, is a safety cover or an automatic cover, but think both of those would be out of my budget, at this time.

My wife would like it to be left open all the time, as she thinks those covers with water tubes are ugly, but understands the work involved.

So I am curious, what do most people here do, that have a pool close to several trees?

Thanks for any feedback,

Don

You always want to have some sort of cover, when leaves are an issue. Mesh covers still leave you with abuncjh of dirt to clean in opening season. They make pool cover sump pumps for solid covers that constantally drain off the build up of rain, and such. You might try the solid cover with the pool cover sump pump, and toss a few inner tubes under the cover to keep the center above the water line.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am really leaning toward looking at investing in a safety cover, there are just some things I am unsure of.

My pool is an 18x36, however the corners have angles that go in , so it has 8 sides rather than 4. I am not sure say a standard 18x36 rectangular safety cover would work, might have to get a custom cover made?

And how difficult installation might be?

Thanks,

Don

Installation is easy - need a strong (14V +) cordless drill w/ a good masonry bit. The key is to lay the cover out thoughtfully before drilling the holes for the anchors. If you opt for a solid cover, you cannot keep the pool running. It's just eye candy anyway if you can't swim for 2-3 months. And expensive, in terms of electricity for the pump and needless wear and tear on the equipment - mainly the pump.

A 14.4 drill? That will not be adequate. A single 3/4" hole in 4" concrete will take at least a full charge to do. Hit a reinforcing rebar and you're stopped cold. 25 To 40 holes are needed. Rent a medium to heavy duty hammer drill. You could buy a Bosch Bulldog but if you hit rebar, it may not be enough umpf.

Scott

I think whatever you do, don't run the filter all winter long while it's closed. You'll not only save money on electricity but probably extend the life of your pump. You should talk with the local pool supply company about whether you need to add anything to the water to make it easier and quicker to balance and open in the spring.

A 14.4 drill? That will not be adequate. A single 3/4" hole in 4" concrete will take at least a full charge to do. Hit a reinforcing rebar and you're stopped cold. 25 To 40 holes are needed. Rent a medium to heavy duty hammer drill. You could buy a Bosch Bulldog but if you hit rebar, it may not be enough umpf.

Scott

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I must have been hallucinating when I wrote that. Does rum make you hallucinate?

Yup. Especially the 151 and cokes. They're like boobies. One's not enough and three's too many.

Scott

Thanks for all the feedback gang, it is much appreciated!

Here is where I am - have got a local pool contractor, who has done some work for me in the past, I am going to go with the safety cover and let him install for me. I think it is best to leave that to a professional, and honestly I am not as young as I used to be, just don't want to try and tackle that on my own.

I am leaning towards a " Smart Mesh " safety cover, I understand it will let water drain through it, but no light.

I will probably let him go ahead and winterize and close my system as well when he does the cover.

It is a bit of an investment for me, but will look the best and be the safest I am sure.

Thanks,

Don