Single Speed Pump System Or Double Speed System?

Two speed pump can definitely save you money on electric (and are required by law in many areas now). As for filter, it's really a compromise between filtration and ease of maintenance. Sand is the easiest to maintain but only filters to about 60 microns. DE is the most work but filters to about 5 microns. Carts fall in between on both maintenance and filtration, going down to about 10-20 microns so it's not that far behind DE.

Some localities do not allow sand filters because of the water used in backwashing and some localities only allow DE with a DE separation tank (which adds a lot to the expense).

All three types of filters do work well and generally, you will be happy with whatever you end up with.

Personally, I prefer carts and have that on my own pool. I have cared for all three types.

waterbear is exactly right! It's a compromise. I could show you a sand filtered pool, and a DE filtered pool (worst to best) and you would not see or feel a difference. The only other important factor is flow rates. Some prefer cartridge because it has less head loss ("back pressure") because it doesn't have a backwash/multiport valve. And it has a better flow rate, apples to apples. However, DE is my preference with a multiport valve. Although this is highly debated, a multiport valve gives you more options, ie bypass the filter completely and vaccuum to waste! These are a big perk IMHO in trade for a little more head loss.

Concerning your pump... Multi-speed is the new black! As is salt!!! I prefer pentairs 4 by 1 pump. but I prefer Haywards t-cell. On the flip side, if you go pentair, they will increase their warranty when buying a full set-up! You've asked a couple of good questions, but we'd like to help you make most all of your decisions. Our experience is free, and remember, it's only our opinion!