Plumbing? 1991 Hotspring Jetsetter

jayhev

I just received a 1991 Hotspring Jetsetter for free. It was stated that everything worked EXCEPT the water level would leak down just below the top jets on the light side and then stop. I opened it up to reveal that there was two hoses with Grey barbed fittings attached just hanging there. I blew air through them to reveal that they go to the two jets that are in question. My question is WHERE DO THEY GO? There is no place to hook them. Is there suppose to be a manifold or something? All help appreciated!!!!

Probably the air flow control intakes.

1/2" clear vinyl tubing?

Small check valves go on the end, and they used to be (and probably still are) attached at the very top of the cabinet, almost under the lip. The nipple of the air flow control check valves have broken and remain in the tubing. The valves themselves are still probably in their mounts, located very high in the equip cabinet. Remove the broken check valves, and replace them.

The only clear tubing that is remotely connected to the jets is from the the air flow control. The air flow control is the manifold.

The only other clear tubing that comes to mind would be from the 24 hr circ pump, but that's not connected to the jet's.

Any chance you can take a pic?

Ok i'll get a pic up later tonight. There are two Clear lines about 1" od that come off the back of the heater. One goes to the circulator pump and the the other is hooked to a ribbed flexible pvc line. Where does that go? By the way I blew through those grey check valves and they do work I believe.

Ok i'll get a pic up later tonight. There are two Clear lines about 1" od that come off the back of the heater. One goes to the circulator pump and the the other is hooked to a ribbed flexible pvc line. Where does that go? By the way I blew through those grey check valves and they do work I believe.

Those are you air flow control intake valves. They are intact, and have not broken.

Unless you see water pouring from them, there is no reason to do anything to them. If you see water pouring out of the grey barbs, it means the valves need replacement.

The way you see them now, is the way they came from the factory, except they were in clips at the top of the shell that held them as high as possible.

They are connected to 1/2" vinyl tubing

Those are you air flow control intake valves. They are intact, and have not broken.

Unless you see water pouring from them, there is no reason to do anything to them. If you see water pouring out of the grey barbs, it means the valves need replacement.

The way you see them now, is the way they came from the factory, except they were in clips at the top of the shell that held them as high as possible.

They are connected to 1/2" vinyl tubing

Thanks! I found the clips at the top of the equip compartment! I ordered a new light shell along with some other tidbits. The light shell was in rough shape and a piece of it was broke off. It may in fact have been leaking there! I'll get that fixed and fire it up and keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a new light housing in and filled it with water only to find the heater was buckled at the square flange where it seals to the exchanger. Also it has a leak somewhere on the right side so I'm done with it! I already have $160 tied up in it and it is 21 years old.

Not a bad idea to cut your losses now.

Better luck next time

Sometimes when a used spa is "free" there’s a good reason for such an enticing price. Being that it was 21 years old and had a known leak you knew it was a gamble; pass it off as "lesson learned".

If they had wanted $200 for it I'd have been more confident that it was in working order, or close to it, but that "free" thing is often a harbinger of bad news. People love to get someone to take their junk off their hands (no matter what the item is) and nothing works better to get that done than use of the old "free" sign. The next time someone wants to give a "free" spa make sure you can see it in operation first.