Automatic Pool Covers

passos

Can I get some thoughts on automatic pool covers. I'm considering a new built in one for a new in ground pool.

My primary reason for considering one is family safety. I plan on opening and closing the cover only when in use (to the extent possible) and consider it an extra layer of protection in addition to a sturdy fence to keep kids safer.

I'd like to get any thoughts on their maintenance and reliability.

It seems to me that their additional cost up front get compensated somewhat in reduced chemicals and heat cost savings.

Does anyone think a salt water system is a bad idea with an automatic pool system? I've read that they are OK so long as you wash off the system regularly, but seems safer to go with a regular system.

It also seems like you can use them year round so I guess you save some $$ in having to get someone to open and close your pool.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Your local weather will affect it's fabric. A strong sun such as found in Texas, Florida, etc... will tend to dry the vinyl fabric faster than in more northern latitudes. Typically, the fabric lasts anywhere from 7 to 12 years before needing replacement. That isn't cheap.

These covers rest on the surface of the water when spread over the pool. They require cover pumps to drawn rain water off. This prevents a potential drowning risk from developing on top of the cover and keeps the weight down so the mechanicals that roll the cover are not subject to the added strain.

If there is a hole in the section that rests on the water, pool water will get through. With the cover pump, that water will be sucked off too.

When a salt system is in place, extra bonding, stainless hardware, and sacrificial anodes (zincs) are often used to keep potential electrolysis from corroding. This will increase the installation costs.

When they work, they they do their job exceedingly well. When they have a problem, it can be costly to fix. If a cover breaks, it is often still 1/2 over the pool.

Things I've seen over the years: Broken ropes, shear pins, clogged spool housing drains, holes, motors burnt out, under side track mounts letting go, seized pulleys and corrosion. These aren't frequent events, but they happen and Murphy's laws dictate the when and how much.

Many that live in areas where pools are winterized and use this cover for a winter cover will find this shortens their life too. Pools with water line tile lower the pool level to prevent freeze damage to the tile. The lower water, causes the cover to sag deeper than intended, stressing the tracks. Add a foot of snow and things get worse. When possible, I encourage homeowner put a safety cover over the pool for the off season and to keep the auto-cover spooled.

A well designed and properly installed system will give you years of trouble free service if proper care is taken. Putting off periodic cleaning of the track, cover, spool housing, etc... earns you the opportunity to meet your service tech that much sooner.

If I were building a new pool, I wouldn't put one on. I'd spend the money on something else like fire pits, water features, etc...

Scott