Mold On Underside Of Cover

robin4747

Its very cold here so I am using my tub only about once a week. I keep the temp at about 95 until I am going to use it then i put it at 100 for the evening. The underside of the cover is forming mold spots. They are penny- quarter size spots that are black so i assume its mold. The water chemistry if fine. I have tried ajax and shower mold remover and it is only taking off the surface mold and not the actual stain. Any ideas how to control and remove this problem.

If you use dichlor, I would shock the spa and scrub the cover with the highly chlorinated water. How long has been since you cleaned the inside of your cover?

I've owned a hot tub for over 25 years. This is a new tub since May 06. The water chemistry comes up on target. at one point last week the bromine was a little high. I feel that the tub is not getting enough use and may need to be aired out a few days a week. I will shock the tub and try to clean off the cover. I have never had this problem in 25 years and I have alway ran my tub all year round. I drained the tub and cleaned and refilled it in Nov. I do that every 3-4 months depending on the usage. I will be dumping the water with in the next few weeks on schedule but for now I need to get the mold off the cover and it will not budge. I want it clean before the new water.

Once again.. you say the water chemistry is fine, yet you DON'T say what you're using what what the readings are. While YOu may feel they're fine, they may in fact NOT BE.

Dr. Spa, Don't get so angry.........this is a forum after all. I have an ozonator in my spa. I use 5 in 1 test strips. When the strip is used all chemicals(total/free bromine,alkaline,hardness,ph) come up in the good range. I did mention before that the ph was just under good was at 6.9 from what I can tell. oddly I checked it again a day after I posted and the mold was gone. today I super shocked it. but when it warms up I will dump the water and start over. As i said before this is the first time this has ever happened to my spa in over 25 years of owning one. I fill my spa with ph proper but find after 2 months i have to add more ph up. i use a clarifier, bromine, some times foam down and scum buster, bromine balance is never an issue. the only other thing is that I have never owned a spa with an ozonator. So why don't you tell me what part of my chemical balance could be off so I can monitor it better or have a starting point to work with.

Dr. Spa, Don't get so angry.........this is a forum after all. I have an ozonator in my spa. I use 5 in 1 test strips. When the strip is used all chemicals(total/free bromine,alkaline,hardness,ph) come up in the good range. I did mention before that the ph was just under good was at 6.9 from what I can tell. oddly I checked it again a day after I posted and the mold was gone. today I super shocked it. but when it warms up I will dump the water and start over. As i said before this is the first time this has ever happened to my spa in over 25 years of owning one. I fill my spa with ph proper but find after 2 months i have to add more ph up. i use a clarifier, bromine, some times foam down and scum buster, bromine balance is never an issue. the only other thing is that I have never owned a spa with an ozonator. So why don't you tell me what part of my chemical balance could be off so I can monitor it better or have a starting point to work with.

PS should i consider a different way of test that you may be aware of.