99 Tr Bengal Won't Start

Rover1

After draining our "99 HS Tiger River Bengal because it had developed a leak and was too cold to try to do any repairs to it last November, I filled it up today. Immediately started leaking from the bottom right rear corner and bottom front. Went ahead and filled, plugged into GFI, hit the reset button, kicked out, tried the reset button again. This time the power light was blinking. Pulled the GFI, waited 30 seconds and replugged in. Now it will not turn on at all, just keeps kicking the reset out, like it has a short somewhere. You can hear the circulator pump trying to kick in, but then it shorts out. Could this be due to a air lock in the recirculating pump or something else? Check the main breaker in the house and it's fine. Just from the outside GFI to the hot tub.

After draining our "99 HS Tiger River Bengal because it had developed a leak and was too cold to try to do any repairs to it last November, I filled it up today. Immediately started leaking from the bottom right rear corner and bottom front. Went ahead and filled, plugged into GFI, hit the reset button, kicked out, tried the reset button again. This time the power light was blinking. Pulled the GFI, waited 30 seconds and replugged in. Now it will not turn on at all, just keeps kicking the reset out, like it has a short somewhere. You can hear the circulator pump trying to kick in, but then it shorts out. Could this be due to a air lock in the recirculating pump or something else? Check the main breaker in the house and it's fine. Just from the outside GFI to the hot tub.

The leak is probably a seperate problem but unplug the heater from the circuit board and see if it still trips. The heater wires come in from the left side of the control box. Make sure power if off, and just pull them off of the board and see if it runs.

This a.m. I unplugged the heater from the circuit board, still trips. Disconnected the main line from the circuit board and the GFI breaker stayed on. Reconnected everything and tried the reset button again on the GFI--sounded like the circulator pump was trying to kick in and then would trip. Maybe the breaker is weak? It also seems to have a large amount of air in the pump system. How do you purge the lines and pumps to get the air out? The owner's manual is useless on this.

Kept resetting the GFI breaker, finally it held. Did not do anything else to spa. Looked at the digital readout-nothing-no blinking light, no steady light, absolutely nothing. Tried to push the button for the jets to come one, kicked out the breaker and now the breaker will not hold again.

Kept resetting the GFI breaker, finally it held. Did not do anything else to spa. Looked at the digital readout-nothing-no blinking light, no steady light, absolutely nothing. Tried to push the button for the jets to come one, kicked out the breaker and now the breaker will not hold again.

Is it the gray 110volt gfci plug? If so it could be bad.

Yes, it's the gray GFCI plug. That is what I am expecting also, because when you do hit the reset button, it doesn't really feel like it goes into place quite right. The wife is going to try it a couple more times today and see if she can get any response out of it. If not, then I'm going to start really troubleshooting the electrical end of things.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the GFCI breaker with a plain old plug. Hot tub started right up with only air in the lines that needed purging. I will be getting a replacement GFCI breaker before we use. However, I now have another question/problem. The power light comes on, no blinking, the green ready light comes on. Display is blank. You do get a display if you run the jets of the jet symbol or if you raise/lower temperature, but it doesn't stay on, goes right back to blank screen. What's up with this??

I replaced the GFCI breaker with a plain old plug. Hot tub started right up with only air in the lines that needed purging. I will be getting a replacement GFCI breaker before we use. However, I now have another question/problem. The power light comes on, no blinking, the green ready light comes on. Display is blank. You do get a display if you run the jets of the jet symbol or if you raise/lower temperature, but it doesn't stay on, goes right back to blank screen. What's up with this??

The display goes to "sleep" after a few seconds. It's just the way it was designed. You can still tell at a glance if the water is ready as long as you can see the green "ready" light is illuminated... which you can see pretty easily from a pretty good distance.

The display goes to "sleep" after a few seconds. It's just the way it was designed. You can still tell at a glance if the water is ready as long as you can see the green "ready" light is illuminated... which you can see pretty easily from a pretty good distance.

I know it goes to sleep, but you are able to push any button and wake it up. It doesn't wake up. It will show you if the jets are on or if you raise/lower the temperature but will not show the water temperature on regular setting. Also I checked the floating thermometer and it was showing 104 and I had set the temp. down to 93.

I know it goes to sleep, but you are able to push any button and wake it up. It doesn't wake up. It will show you if the jets are on or if you raise/lower the temperature but will not show the water temperature on regular setting. Also I checked the floating thermometer and it was showing 104 and I had set the temp. down to 93.

It will not show the water temp. It will only show the set-temp.

You have to rely on the "ready light"

If it's 104, and you have it set at 93, you might want to enable "summer mode."

Thanks Spa Savant! You'll have to forgive this engineer with too many projects in the fire. I completely forgot about the summer setting. Now that I've figured out it was the GFCI breaker giving me the problem, I'm ready to dig into foam and determine where the leaks are coming from. I suspect one is around the light housing as I see screws that are rusted behind the lens. I know the circulator pump has a leak as I saw it when I had the cover off and was running the pump.

Thanks Spa Savant! You'll have to forgive this engineer with too many projects in the fire. I completely forgot about the summer setting. Now that I've figured out it was the GFCI breaker giving me the problem, I'm ready to dig into foam and determine where the leaks are coming from. I suspect one is around the light housing as I see screws that are rusted behind the lens. I know the circulator pump has a leak as I saw it when I had the cover off and was running the pump.

Alright- good luck tracking down those leaks!