New Tub Start Up As I Type

Alscott

New Maxxus was just delivered.... Like a kid at Christmas time.

The dealer provides chemicals with the purchase and I have a box full of SpaGuard chemicals. Is SpaGuard OK to use? It will be set up as bromine. After reading Waterbear's bromine post I just want to be sure that the SpaGuard won't cause any problems. Aren't they just the chemicals you need but just packaged under a brand name? I have:

Total Alkalinity Increaser

pH Increaser

Chlorinating Concentrate

Enhanced Shock

pH Decreaser

Anti Foam

Stain & Scale Control

Water Freshener

Believe they forgot the bromine tablets.

The dealer provides chemicals with the purchase and I have a box full of SpaGuard chemicals. Is SpaGuard OK to use? It's from Bioguard/Chemtura. It's just very expensive.

It will be set up as bromine. After reading Waterbear's bromine post I just want to be sure that the SpaGuard won't cause any problems. Aren't they just the chemicals you need but just packaged under a brand name? I have:

Total Alkalinity Increaser this is baking soda

pH Increaser This is soda ash, borax is better to use if you need to raise pH

Chlorinating Concentrate Dichlor

Enhanced Shock a mixture of dichlor, non chorine oxidixer, and borax! My question is why?

pH Decreaser Dry Acid, Sodium Bisulfate

Anti Foam Not needed

Stain & Scale Control only needed if you have metals or high calcium in your fill water

Water Freshener WTF???blink.gif Used to eliminate 'foul' odors in the water ?!?!?! wacko.gif If the water is kept sanitized you won't have any foul odors!!!!!!!!rolleyes.gif

Bioguard (spaguard) does not sell sodium bromide! Their "Brominating Concentrate" is really a mixture of mostly dichlor with some sodium bromide at their attempt at creating a one step bromine. Will not work if trying to do 3 step bromine. Get Sodium Bromide from HTH (Brom Start), Leisure Time (sodium Bromide), or Proteam (Brom Bank)!

The dealer provides chemicals with the purchase and I have a box full of SpaGuard chemicals. Is SpaGuard OK to use? It's from Bioguard/Chemtura. It's just very expensive.

It will be set up as bromine. After reading Waterbear's bromine post I just want to be sure that the SpaGuard won't cause any problems. Aren't they just the chemicals you need but just packaged under a brand name? I have:

Total Alkalinity Increaser this is baking soda

pH Increaser This is soda ash, borax is better to use if you need to raise pH

Chlorinating Concentrate Dichlor

Enhanced Shock a mixture of dichlor, non chorine oxidixer, and borax! My question is why?

pH Decreaser Dry Acid, Sodium Bisulfate

Anti Foam Not needed

Stain & Scale Control only needed if you have metals or high calcium in your fill water

Water Freshener WTF???blink.gif Used to eliminate 'foul' odors in the water ?!?!?! wacko.gif If the water is kept sanitized you won't have any foul odors!!!!!!!!rolleyes.gif.

Bioguard (spaguard) does not sell sodium bromide! Their "Brominating Concentrate" is really a mixture of mostly dichlor with some sodium bromide at their attempt at creating a one step bromine. Will not work if trying to do 3 step bromine. Get Sodium Bromide from HTH (Brom Start), Leisure Time (sodium Bromide), or Proteam (Brom Bank)!

Thanks for the response. I read what the "water freshener" bottle said and had the same thought. I hope I never have a reason to think it's useful.

They actually set me up on the Sun Purity system (which I believe is made by Nature 2) - NOT bromine. But isn't this basically chlorine? Or is it the dichlor method i have seen on here? They added the chlorinating concentrate, enhanced shock, alkalinity increaser, and calcium hardness increaser and put in the Sun Purity cartridge. I read many, many posts for weeks leading up to delivery and thought I would be good but now I am more confused than ever.

If you are using the mineral cart with only dichlor there is no advantage since you will need to maintain the same free chlorine levels as without it. If you are following the "Low Chlorine" recipe in the instruction manual (using MPS after each soak, making sure there is an MPS level in the water before each soak and shocking with chlorine weekly or "as needed" (meaning more than once a week). then it becomes a Silver/MPS sanitizer which is an EPA approved sanitizer in the hot waters in a hot tub. It will not act as a sanitizer if your water temperature is not at normal hot tub range (around 100 degrees or higher).

The instruction manual that came with the cart should be followed if you desire to use the cart as a Silver/MPS sanitizer and you will need MPS and Dichlor and a way to test both free chlorine and MPS (not a problem since MPS can be tested with a combined chlorine test and a special additional reagent from Taylor if you have a Taylor test kit.)

Personally, I am not a fan of Silver/MPS systems because if you do not maintain them correctly the water WILL go bad fast compared to chlorine or bromine and many, many people do not bother to read the little pamphlet that comes with them and follow the instructions but many people have had good results when they RTFM.

IMPORTANT: The SunPurity/Nature2 is not compatible with bromine. the SpaFrog/LeisureTime spa stick is but why go for the extra expense?

Unless you are going the Silver/MPS route (where the silver is a necessary part of your sanitizer system) THERE IS NO NEED FOR A MINERAL CARTRIDGE. IT IS JUST AN ADDITIONAL EXPENSE!!!!!

I guess I will give this a shot for a while since I have the chemicals. What Taylor test kit would I need?

If you are going to use chlorine you need a Taylor K-2006. If you are using bromine a Taylor K-2106.

Silver/MPS is still chlorine