Level A In-Ground Pool Using A Metal Flange?

I have an inground vinyl liner pool with a steel frame that was installed an unknown amount of years before I purchased the house. One of the things that we had noticed when we first started using it was that it was not level, with it being lower in the deep end. This week, when the pool was being opened, there was a large tear in the liner. As the liner is now being replaced I am using this opportunity to fix some issues I have with the pool.

One of the items I wanted to attempt to fix was the fact that the pool was not level. I have interviewed 3 pool companies and one of them mentioned that they knew of one company that makes a metal flange that can attached to the top of steel frame of the pool to heighten and thus level the sunken side. As I am replacing the coping and leveling the patio 3-4' back, the fact that the top of the pool in that one area may be higher is not a big deal.

My concern, is that when I discussed this with the other two pool companies they have never heard of this method to level the pool and basically said it didn't sound right. Has anyone heard of this method and if so does it work? Any negatives to this approach? And do you know who this manufacturer is that is making this flange?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information you can provide.

Things I can foresee:

Wall foam at each liner change.

A variable wall height may confuse future owners when they get a liner in 10 years. If it's still you, be sure to tell the people doing the job. The variable height of the wall will raise the cost of the liner. The wall height is generally uniform to within a 1/2" or so.

The existing deck might need replacing.

The liner track is often integrated with the coping. It will likely need replacing.

There will be a need for additional fill where you raise the height.

All of these will add to your costs. Some will be very significant.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

As I said, the coping is being replaced when I do the liner change, so fixing the patio, the additional fill, and the tracking are already being taken into consideration. As for the foam, I am being quoted new foam around the pool for a couple of hundred dollars in addition to the liner change. I can live with that.

A variable wall height may confuse future owners when they get a liner in 10 years. If it's still you, be sure to tell the people doing the job. The variable height of the wall will raise the cost of the liner. The wall height is generally uniform to within a 1/2" or so.

This I am not sure I understand. If the pool has already settled on one end, or built that way for all I know, isn't there already going to be a discrepancy in wall height? Or do you mean total length of the wall? As for future owners, I am not really thinking about that right now. I have no intention of going anyway for the next 30 years, so right now my major focus is on making the pool better for me and my family.

Is this method of leveling the pool common though? Anyone ever heard of this method?

I haven't heard of it being done before, but the logic seems solid. Any sheet metal shop should be able to make the flange for you. Typical pool panels are 14 gauge galvanized steel with a 4" top flange.

The only problem I foresee is where the shim tapers off to 0" high--you can't really bend sheet metal that way.

Good Luck,

Jeff