Hayward Navigator Pods Or A-Frame?

My hayward navigator pool vacuum is not moving - the flippers and pods are not moving up and down, although the turbine in the middle is spinning and the suction is adequate. I am not sure if the problem is with the a-frame or the pods. The pods are definitely worn and over a year old, but would that cause the pods not to move? Or is it probably the a-frame because of the ball bearings? Or is it possible that I just don't have the pods screwed on tight enough?

The navigator is 7 years old and I have never changed the a-frame pieces but I don't know how to tell if they need to be changed. When I took it apart and looked at them and spun the ball bearing cases they seem fine but I am not a mechanic - maybe they are worn. There are no visible cracks or worn areas on the a-frames.

Since both the a-frames and the pods are about $30 each, I'd rather not buy one if I don't need to. I appreciate your expert advice for me!

With your navigator apart, try to wiggle the pods while still attached to the a-frame, they should not wiggle. If they do, it is likely your pod not your a-frame, often times you put a little extra torque on the single screw holding the pod on and it will resolve your problem. A locking washer would have been a nice addition by hayward.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the a-frames, and the pods were on tight. I ended up rebuilding my hayward navigator by buying new pods, shoes, wings, turbine, bearings, and a-frames and replacing all those parts myself. Now it works like new - but I still don't know which part was bad to begin with. So I saved all the old parts in case something breaks in the future - maybe some of the parts are still good. The vacuum hadn't worked for a few weeks and we've had storms so the bottom of the pool was like the river - dirt! I'll have to clean my filter soon as I'm sure it's getting filled fast. I'm just glad I was able to fix it before swimming season.

The problem was probably the $20.00 turbine bearings that are unnaturally prone to fail. If you still have the old parts,

look at the inside of the turbine bearings for the keyway that keeps the bearing from spinning on the turbine, I'll bet there

is none because it got spun out.