Gunite Surface Plaster Or Diamond Or Pepple

masanori

I need some advice. My gunite pool was sprayed last fall and we are getting ready to finish the surface. The plaster was in my price but we are looking into diamond brite or pepple tec. Pepple is around 8000 dollars and diamond brite is 2500 dollars. From what I read pepple will last alot longer and keeping water chemistry in check. I would like to hear your advice.

Our pool is plastered with WetEdge Technologies Luna Quartz and we like it. So far it looks great. It's still curing (installed in early December 2010) so we are adding acid fairly often (about 16 oz. every 3 days or so). Our pool is only 20x20 and 3.5 to 4.5 feet deep and the total cost was about $3,200--that's total, not the difference between white plaster and the Luna Quartz. We were told that WetEdge is similar in quality to Diamond Brite.

Both Pebble Tec and Wet Edge will outlast Diamond Brite by a very large large margin. I have yet to hear a Pebble that has worn out. Pebble Tec came about 25 years ago. Wet Edge came on the market fairly recently but is very similar and much of the aggregate comes for the same mines. The people running the company, as I understand it are former PT people.

Diamond Brite still has plaster in it and will last about 12 years, sometimes 15 if it's well cared for.

Scott

Both Pebble Tec and Wet Edge will outlast Diamond Brite by a very large large margin. I have yet to hear a Pebble that has worn out. Pebble Tec came about 25 years ago. Wet Edge came on the market fairly recently but is very similar and much of the aggregate comes for the same mines. The people running the company, as I understand it are former PT people.

Diamond Brite still has plaster in it and will last about 12 years, sometimes 15 if it's well cared for.

Scott

So how much should we be spending on pebble-tec? 18x38

Different parts of the country have different pricing based on market demand. Expect Pebble to cost a bit more than Wet Edge but not by much.

Scott

The Pebble Tec and Wet Edge lines are, IMHO, a much more durable line of products than anything SGM has. All SGM products have more marble dust. Marble is a soft mineral, subject to erosion by chemistry issues such as low CH in solution, low pH, and the physical erosion of use, whether it is from contact by people, tools like brushes, etc... The lost marble to these factors exposes the cement too, which will suffer the same fate but over a longer period.

The high aggregate finishes hide the cement from contact more effectively. The aggregates are harder materials than marble or cement found in SGM's products. While they have some cement as a binder, less is exposed.

Have the builder bring you to pools with each product you have interest in so you can walk on it's steps and feel it with your hand. Then you can decide if the high aggregates offer a texture you are comfortable with and if the difference in cost is worth it to you.

Scott