Electrical For Your Spa

Alscott

I just had my 240v 60amp electrical done last week in Las Vegas and it cost $785. I was told the length of the run is the biggest factor in determining the cost mainly because heavy gauge copper wire runs $2-3 a foot, my run was about 75 feet. Betweeen all the conduit connections, fasteners, fishing the wire, installing the subpanel, and connecting the tub it took him just over 4 hours at $75 an hour. I also debated doing the wiring myself but decided $300 for labor was reasonable not to have to mess around inside the main electrical panel.

It you wire it wrong the electrical components are fried if you aren't along with it. In general I would say if you are asking the question you are not qualified to do the job. Sure the price sounds ridiculous to you because you know nothing of what goes into the job. The parts GFCI and wire alone will run more than a few hundred. If you want to DIY you might save a few hundred but you might not get the properly rated equipment and could do damage to you spa down the road. If anything I would be concerned that the price was too cheap. Are they cutting corners? Are they getting a permit? Is this a company that will stand by there work or will they be ling gone if you have problems.

It you wire it wrong the electrical components are fried if you aren't along with it. In general I would say if you are asking the question you are not qualified to do the job. Sure the price sounds ridiculous to you because you know nothing of what goes into the job. The parts GFCI and wire alone will run more than a few hundred. If you want to DIY you might save a few hundred but you might not get the properly rated equipment and could do damage to you spa down the road. If anything I would be concerned that the price was too cheap. Are they cutting corners? Are they getting a permit? Is this a company that will stand by there work or will they be ling gone if you have problems.

Ran 200ft of 6 gauge from house panel to my dock with new box, GFCI etc so I know exactly what's involved with that. It's just my first tub and that end is the big unknown. The frying of the tub or me is what has me worried. Just some sticker shock.

Ran 200ft of 6 gauge from house panel to my dock with new box, GFCI etc so I know exactly what's involved with that. It's just my first tub and that end is the big unknown. The frying of the tub or me is what has me worried. Just some sticker shock.

I'm compelled to respond, but let me say I'm a DIY not an electrician and I don't know what I'm talking about. Be safe.

Now that being said, the hook up to the tub was relatively easy. When I had my house built I asked for a run to where I planned to have the hot tub. 8 years later, I went to my local plumbing/electrical supply place and they sold me the 12 ft run and hot tub disconnect/GFI. I flipped the switch and it worked. Sounds to me you have the hard part done connecting to the house.

take a look here Wiring a Hot Tub

Good luck.

DK117

Might be worth seeing if the electrician would be interested in simply doing each hookup end ( sub panel and tub) and letting you do the actual running of wire. might save you some money but still allow for some expertise on the actual hookup, especially since youve already done a lengthy run in the past. Just a suggestion.

Has anybody done the wiring for their first tub themselves? If so how difficult is it? If you hired someone what did it cost? I have an estimate for $600 - $800 which seems ridiculous to me.

That's what I paid a year ago.

I do most everything myself, but water and electricity together was something I was not willing to take a chance on doing. I figure I save enough working on my cars, my boat and my tractor myself to pay an expert to do something that my life and the life of my family may depend on.

It's not really an out of line price. Wire, disconnect box, conduit, etc all cost quite a bit. There A homeowner can do it themselves, but if you have to ask if it's hard... then you probably shouldn't try it (meant with all due respect). Keep in mind that most localities will require a permit and inspection, which would be your problem instaead of the electrician's. Also, if it's done wrong you, your family and guests can be killed.