Excess Foam

yzoldman

I was out doing some routine maintenance on the spa today and turned on both pumps to high and the blower. Didn't take long before I had a lot of foam. Is this to be expected with everything running. With both pumps on low and the blower running I get what seems like an acceptable level considering all the aggitation. With just one pump and blower there is almost no foam. I am using a SWCG if that means anyting. As soon as I turn everything off the foam dissapates.

TIA

If water has not been changed in over 5 to 6 months, it will sud, also if you use bathing suits, that have been washed with laundry detergent, you should only use bathing suits just washed with water, they do make , defoaming solutions, but if they tend not to work, time to change the water most likely...

dont use dichlor/bleach method with a swag system. Foam can be caused by several things, not justs soaps. Body oils and sweat also build up which can cause foam, PH that is out of balance will cause foam as can low CH. What are your readings, how long since the last water change and what is the useage. A clarifier such as sea klear can also halp collect up the unfilterable particles in your filter, thus helping to eliminate foam. Foam down only helps for a day or 2 so I find it a waste of money.

It sounds, since it dissipates so quickly that it may be a water chemistry issue, such as PH, or a build up of materials the filter is not picking up

dont use dichlor/bleach method with a swag system. Foam can be caused by several things, not justs soaps. Body oils and sweat also build up which can cause foam, PH that is out of balance will cause foam as can low CH. What are your readings, how long since the last water change and what is the useage. A clarifier such as sea klear can also halp collect up the unfilterable particles in your filter, thus helping to eliminate foam. Foam down only helps for a day or 2 so I find it a waste of money.

It sounds, since it dissipates so quickly that it may be a water chemistry issue, such as PH, or a build up of materials the filter is not picking up

Thanks HHT. I really don't think I have a problem but I was more curious if this seemed normal with both pumps on high all jets open (90 of 'em) and air injection running. Also nobody in the tub to slow anything down. I doubt that it is a soap problem, as I am the only one using the tub and I am always in commando. It has been about 2 1/2 months since water change, ph=7.6, ch=180, ta=90 salt level=3300 (this is a little high), usage is about every other night for about 30- 45 mins. The foam starts to dissipates almost immediately as you turn off pumps and/or blower, leaving no residue on top of the water but cloudiness in the water which clear as it settles.

Personally I never found it made any difference whether you launder your swimsuits. We always use freshly laundered ones, it doesn't seem to make the foam appear. On the rare occasions when I get too much foaming, I use a leaf net and scoop out the foam. It takes a while. Then I adjust the PH, as previously mentioned. Then shock, and the problem seems to go away. I haven't tried adding clarifier but that makes sense if the above doesn't work.

Thanks HHT. I really don't think I have a problem but I was more curious if this seemed normal with both pumps on high all jets open (90 of 'em) and air injection running. Also nobody in the tub to slow anything down. I doubt that it is a soap problem, as I am the only one using the tub and I am always in commando. It has been about 2 1/2 months since water change, ph=7.6, ch=180, ta=90 salt level=3300 (this is a little high), usage is about every other night for about 30- 45 mins. The foam starts to dissipates almost immediately as you turn off pumps and/or blower, leaving no residue on top of the water but cloudiness in the water which clear as it settles.

we see this a lot when the TDS (total dissolved solids) is high, since you use a SWG, your TDS is going to be high, it has to be because you have to add the salts. As you use the tub, this becomes higher over time. All the other chemicals you add, plus you body oils, skin sweat ect. will add to the TDS. The best thing we have found with this is SEA klears PRS syste,. It removes unwanted particles down to 3 microns, but it is pricy. Works great. Their regular clarifer also works pretty well, and much less pricy, plus these are safe clrifiers for the salt generaator. I would try that, After a couple of days of the clarifier, pull the filters and hose them off good. Your numbers look great.