Fair Price For Used Master Spa

Hi All,

I "inherited" a used spa with the purchase of my house. It is a Master Spa LS800 with Master DLX LED lighting, Microban, EcoPur Filtration, and an 8x8 wood gazebo. It was purchased for $13,000 in 2006. The previous owners passed away less than a year after it was purchased and my family has only used it once or twice. It has stood covered and empty for the last couple of years.

I am looking to sell it to a local used spa dealer. Any ideas on what a fair price would be? Upon seeing photos, the dealer requested my asking price - I have no idea what a fair price would be! I understand he needs to make $$ off the purchase, so I want to be realistic and not scare him away with a ridiculous price.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Take this as you will as I am not a spa dealer. Forget the $13,000 " purchase price". Master does not make a spa worth that. Somebody made a nice commission off that spa.

What is it worth today. Well I would not pay more than a few thousand dollars for a used spa of that age. The dealer will likely have to make repairs to the seals and gaskets as the tub has been empty and they have dried and cracked which will cause leaks.

If you are looking to free up some space this will be a good option for you. If you are looking for big $$$$ maybee not. Used spas go for $1000 to $3000 in my area. As you said the dealer will have to make $ on the deal. Atleast they will haul it way and you will be ahead of the game as you paid nothing for it.

You overlooked the fact that it has an 8x8 wood gazebe, which likely contributed a significant potion of the upfront cost, and could garner some decent cash on resale.

You might look at selling on craigslist or a local classified site. Could likely make more money, but for more headache.

Thank you for the input.

In essence, I did pay for it, as it was included in the sale of my house. I'm not looking to make big bucks on it, but just want a reasonable dollar amount.

The gazebo, which is fairly weathered, would be included in the cost. I'm just looking for a dollar amount that would be reasonable for me to ask.

Thank you agian!

Thank you for the input.

In essence, I did pay for it, as it was included in the sale of my house. I'm not looking to make big bucks on it, but just want a reasonable dollar amount.

The gazebo, which is fairly weathered, would be included in the cost. I'm just looking for a dollar amount that would be reasonable for me to ask.

Thank you agian!

I won't comment on the gazebo but will on the spa itself though its tough to be too specific without seeing it. First of all, myself and many others who are semi-savvy about buying a used hot tub would never even consider yours unless it was up and running or would only consider it for a very low price with expectations of multiple repairs needed. If it was running I'd say anywhere from $1300 to $3000 depending on condition and assuming it was about $8-9k new and being that its 5 years old (depreciation hits hard the first year or two).

However, it’s not up and running and hasn’t been in 2 years, obvious red flag. Even if it looks great and was fully operational before it was shut down, being unused and empty for 2 years puts a huge “?” on whether it still is ready to go, even more so if you’re in an area where its freezes in the winter.

For those who'll take the chance that it’ll be in good working order they'll want a lesser price for having to take that leap of faith that its generally working fine. I wouldn’t call Master a sought after brand necessarily but the dealer knows he can fix it up, clean it up, give a 3 month warranty on it and resell it but he’s going to want a good deal for his time, effort and to make some money off it. He’s asking you for your price but he probably already knows what he’s willing to do. Throw a number at him and let him take the next step. If you can fill it and have it running fully heated for him (or anyone else) I guarantee you’ll get a better deal.

Great advice to getting it running. There was a 3 y/o cal spa in my area craislist that somebody was trying to sell for $1200. They already had it on a trailer. Nice price but I wasn't willing to even take a look at it as it was. Your area craigslist will give you ballpark figures for an operational tub. The dealer will want to buy it for less and rightly so. Do you want to field the craigslist calls???

As to the gazebo I would keep it if you can use it in your backyard. You will likely get very little for it. First whomever buys the spa may not even want a gazebo. Second, it is weathered and will need the work of being restained and would have to be taken apart for transport.

If you don't use this and it just wastes space let it go. It could not have added that much to the purchase price of your home. Best of luck for a quick sale.

Like anything sold on craigslist or an online classified, set your acceptable price in your mind, then mark it up higher than that. High enough to make people feel like when they bargain and lowball, which the most certainly will, that when you agree at your preset price in mind, or higher, you got what you wanted, and they feel like they got one over on you. Think of youself as a New Spa Dealer in that regard.

<ducks and covers>

Like anything sold on craigslist or an online classified, set your acceptable price in your mind, then mark it up higher than that. High enough to make people feel like when they bargain and lowball, which the most certainly will, that when you agree at your preset price in mind, or higher, you got what you wanted, and they feel like they got one over on you. Think of youself as a New Spa Dealer in that regard.

<ducks and covers>

So, when you buy something on Craigslist do you feel that you "got over" on someone if you pay less or do you just know you paid what they wanted? I remember years ago a certain customer of my fathers (auto shop) used to always drop the change off of the bill in his check. I asked my Dad one day, "why do you let him do that?" My Dad replied with a smile...., "son, I always add an extra dollar to his bill"

Oh, to the OP...try this.....put the Gazebo up for sale and throw in a "free" spa! price accordingly :rolleyes:

<ducks and covers>

So, when you buy something on Craigslist do you feel that you "got over" on someone if you pay less or do you just know you paid what they wanted? I remember years ago a certain customer of my fathers (auto shop) used to always drop the change off of the bill in his check. I asked my Dad one day, "why do you let him do that?" My Dad replied with a smile...., "son, I always add an extra dollar to his bill"

Oh, to the OP...try this.....put the Gazebo up for sale and throw in a "free" spa! price accordingly :rolleyes:

No, i dont. I feel like I paid what they wanted for it. To me, its an expected negotiation when buying on craigslist. Anytime I sell something on it, I expect to be negotiated with. Any time someone just up and pays asking price...Im happy, but I sort of feel like I 'won.'