Another Question About Shocking A Brimine Tub

partyboy

I am running 3 part bromine with little problems. I have 380 gallons running filter/ozone cycle for 4 hrs a day. I keep the bromine levels at 4ppm with the floater and this is relatively easy. I will add a little MPS or bleach during partys/high bather loads and after if levels drop lower than usual.

The problem: I can't easily test CD in my bromine system since the floater is always in. My MPS bottle suggests I shock 1x a week at a dose that makes my bromine shoot up past 20ppm for a couple of days rendering my tub unusable. If I don't shock for a few weeks I will have to open the floater to maintain the bromine level. In my mind this means it is time for a shock.

Question: I can easily make changes to the amount of MPS or bleach I add when doing a shock to get the desired bromine level. What is the required level in ppm for a maintenance shock? Should I shock weekly or just when I find myself having to open up the floater to keep up? I'm seriously considering dichlor/bleach because I don't like the 2 day wait after oxidizing my tub.

I

The problem: I can't easily test CD in my bromine system since the floater is always in.

What is CD?

I guess It's not Chlorine Demand, but more like Bromine Demand. I was referring to how much sanitizer the tub uses in a 24 hr period.

Any ideas on how often a shock is really needed with bromine and how to tell? I think weekly is overdoing it when its usually just me soaking.

My weekly MPS shocks bump the test reading up around 15 ppm. If I shock it in the morning it will be around 8 ppm that evening. Anything below 10 ppm is ok to enter. My tub is under 200 gallons and I use it 1 hour every night. After my soak I usually add 1 to 2 tablespoons of bleach to help oxidize my waste, I have ozone as well. Hope that helps ya.

You are really making bromine a lot harder than it is.

Here is how to do bromine. Read it again. It answers all your questions!

If the amount of oxidizer you are adding is raising your bromine above 20 ppm then use less when you shock! It's pretty easy really. Try half the amount you are using. If you get it above 10 ppm you are fine. Keep the tub uncovered AND all the jets and aerators running after shocking and you should find the bromine level drops down fairly quickly.

Itchy and Scratchy: thanks for your input. Your real-world experience was what I was looking for. I can deal with 1/2 day waiting for the bromine levels to come down, just not 1.5-2 days as it has been taking. Waterbear: I probably am over-thinking this a bit. That happens when my OC disorder kicks in. I recently ran out of MPS and will be using only bleach to shock. It shouldn't be hard to learn how much it takes to get to approx. 15ppm bromine. Thank you both for your help.