Should I Purchase A Service Contract On A New Sundance Spa?

lree32

Hi all,

I have a floor model Sundance Hartford model spa that I have had for about 6 months. Still getting used to becoming proficient at chemicals, but overall I love it! My local dealer where I bought it is offering a year service contract for $199. This includes two visits (spring and fall) with a host of checks on sensors, circuit board calibration, switches, pumps, seals, filters ck and cleaning, control panel buttons, voltage into load box, log values in onboard computer, filter motor, therapy motors and blower motors and cleaning and lubricating diverter valve if needed.

Whew that sounds like a lot and to a novice no idea about mechanicals person, it sounds like a good idea to me. However just want to check with some of you pro's on whether its necessary or not for an almost new spa that is till under warranty?. The price does not include tax or materials that may be needed, and any non-warranty repairs or chemicals will be billed at a 10% discount.

Thanks very much for any and all feedback!

Laurie

Hi all,

I have a floor model Sundance Hartford model spa that I have had for about 6 months. Still getting used to becoming proficient at chemicals, but overall I love it! My local dealer where I bought it is offering a year service contract for $199. This includes two visits (spring and fall) with a host of checks on sensors, circuit board calibration, switches, pumps, seals, filters ck and cleaning, control panel buttons, voltage into load box, log values in onboard computer, filter motor, therapy motors and blower motors and cleaning and lubricating diverter valve if needed.

Whew that sounds like a lot and to a novice no idea about mechanicals person, it sounds like a good idea to me. However just want to check with some of you pro's on whether its necessary or not for an almost new spa that is till under warranty?. The price does not include tax or materials that may be needed, and any non-warranty repairs or chemicals will be billed at a 10% discount.

Laurie

Calibrate the circuit board? Lube the diverter valve? I believe I would have to see both of these procedures performed live before I accepted that they had actually been done. I'll skip the rest of the claimed services and, to the dealer's credit, agree that they are definitely going to incur some expense in showing up twice. Probably they expect to generate some parts sales on these visits. Just my opinion.

Edit: I missed the bit about your spa being under warranty. If the parts in question are covered by warranty, then you are wasting your money. Incidentally, the only "calibration" that I can imagine being made on a spa circuit board is for the temperature feedback. If the temperature is controlling normally, then it does not need calibration. Ever.

Hi all,

Laurie

Calibrate the circuit board? Lube the diverter valve? I believe I would have to see both of these procedures performed live before I accepted that they had actually been done. I'll skip the rest of the claimed services and, to the dealer's credit, agree that they are definitely going to incur some expense in showing up twice. Probably they expect to generate some parts sales on these visits. Just my opinion.

For peace of mind regarding your expensive investment, there is nothing wrong with having someone come and actually check on the spa and spa equipment twice a year. That person may be able to take care of a few warranty issues as they come up so you won't be surprised by a cold spa sometime down the road. They will hopefully check your water chemistry and educate you on what you may be doing wrong if it is out of whack. So hopefully your peace of mind is what your dealership has in mind in offering this service. Enjoy your spa

Hi all,

Laurie

For peace of mind regarding your expensive investment, there is nothing wrong with having someone come and actually check on the spa and spa equipment twice a year. That person may be able to take care of a few warranty issues as they come up so you won't be surprised by a cold spa sometime down the road. They will hopefully check your water chemistry and educate you on what you may be doing wrong if it is out of whack. So hopefully your peace of mind is what your dealership has in mind in offering this service. Enjoy your spa

Respectfully disagree. Other than user error on chemical application and measurement, I haven't seen anything on a spa that would require a preventive maintenance contract. I have performed and designed numerous maintenance procedures for a wide range of machinery for quite a few years. The spa check list as described previously sounds to me like a good way to keep the local spa dealer in fast cars and young women.

Hi all,

Laurie

Respectfully disagree. Other than user error on chemical application and measurement, I haven't seen anything on a spa that would require a preventive maintenance contract. I have performed and designed numerous maintenance procedures for a wide range of machinery for quite a few years. The spa check list as described previously sounds to me like a good way to keep the local spa dealer in fast cars and young women.

You will notice that I responded "for peace of mind". Some people who are not mechanically inclined as was stated don't mind paying for peace of mind. I personally agree completely with you on what a new spa needs which is virtually nothing. I have plenty of customers who will not even look in the equipment area and are happy to pay a professional to just look to make sure everything is ok even though there is nothing wrong with the spa.

The better way for the service to be sold would be a maintenance contract in which the tech actually cleans the spa, changes the water, treats and rinses the filters, treats the spa cover, etc. etc. and while he or she is waiting for the spa to fill can inspect the equipment for any problems (and lube the diverter valve if needed).