Pump Problems

Boy, it's getting hard to take a relaxing soak !

My jet pump won't start up all of a sudden (won't start from either control panel). The tub is a HS Prodigy about 10 years old.

I have electrically disconnected the pump motor from the IQ2020 and ran a 110 V hot wire to it and it seemed to run fine. I then checked the power out terminals on the iq2020 and I get 110 V but only when the motor is Not connected with the motor connected it only reads a few millivolts. The start capacitor seems to check out OK on my ohmmeter too. At this point, I'm thinking it is the motor relay on the main board. Can the relays be replaced or do I need a new main board or are there other choices? Are there any other tests I can do to determine the culprit within???

I have found the advice rendered on this forum to be just great and I have also moved over to the Borate and Bleach system recommended here and that has been wonderful in several respects. Now, if I can just get my tub mixer working again... then I'll be happy again !

Thanks to the forum experts,

Lo Voltage (aka... SpaSplash)

I'm not familiar with the HS controllers but is this a 110V or 220V pump? If 220V, have you verified that you still have 220V coming into the spa? Does the icon on the keypad indicate that the pump is selected?

The lack of voltage while the pump is connected kinda points to a bad relay. The reason you have voltage when the pump is not connected is probably due the the snub capacitor next to the relay.

Edit: Any error codes? On some spa controllers an error code will disable the spa completely.

ChaiSTI, thanks for the tip on that snub cap and yes, the snub cap is probably the reason for the voltage reading... now that you mention it.

]

The motors are 110 V and so is the whole spa. I think, I am going to de-solder the relay for jet Pump 2 and swap it out for jet pump 1's relay and see if that does it. The heater seems fine, it is just that the motor won't start and yes, the spa's jet pump indicator display & a red LED on the controller board comes on when the jets button is pushed. I have not seen any error codes pop up.

Stay tuned, I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

YES... IT WAS THE RELAY !

I simply de-soldered both the pump 1 relay and the unused relay in the pump 2. Moved pump2 relay to pump 1's position leaving pump 2 position empty. Works like it always did. Now, I'm just waiting for it to come back up to temperature...

Happiness is back in Spaland. A zero cost repair !

Your snub capacitor diagnosis clinched it for me... Thanks again ! :)