White Stains On Tub

knutohotub

I've noticed white mineral deposits on the exterior of the tub and was wondering what's causing it. I have only had the tub a few weeks and I'm using the dichlor/bleach method. They wipe off easily. I just got over a foaming issue and resolved it after cleaning the filters in TPS. Could this be part of the issue?

FC 5

CC.5

PH 7.4

TA 80

CH 200

CYA 70

Are they like a powdery residue that wipes off easy (salt deposits?) or a bit slimy or goeey (residual oils, soaps lotions) which may be since you said you had a foaming issue. Also, your CYA is pretty high for the dichlor/bleach method. I am guessing you used dichlor too long before switching.

Are they like a powdery residue that wipes off easy (salt deposits?) or a bit slimy or goeey (residual oils, soaps lotions) which may be since you said you had a foaming issue. Also, your CYA is pretty high for the dichlor/bleach method. I am guessing you used dichlor too long before switching.

The residue is a powdery like you mentioned, wipes off easily and the spa water does have a slightly salty taste. Otherwise its crystal clear.

Thanks for your thoughts on the CYA. I've shocked the tub with diclhor a few times thinking I had a contamination issue. My FC was dropping to 0 every morning. after shocking the FC went From 16ppm to 5ppm in a 480 gal tub with a CC of 1 overnight. The tub doesn't get much sun but I've left the cover open for a few hours during the process.

The FC drop looks like its leveled off. It went from 5 to 3.5 overnight with a CC of .5. I guess I'm getting closer? Idunno? :)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Chlorine is a salt, so i am guessing thats what you are seeing, such as if you splash ocean water on a glass and let the water evaporate, it leaves the salt.

How much chlorine you use depends on how many bathers, how long, what other contaminats may be in the water such as swimsuits, lotions, deoderants, hairspray ect. the outlines givin for how many ounces of bleach per bather hour is a estimate, each person will be different. You will learn with a bit of time, what your personal use will use so you can add the coreect amount after soaking and still have a reading the next day without creating to many CC's. Some people find it helpful to use MPS weekly to help oxidize the waste and keep the chlorine demand down. It looks like you are doing well now, if you added chlorine after getting out and brought it to 5, it dropped to 3.5, then you added a bit more than needed (thats if this was done after using the spa)

The CYA in the hot tub is not for the sun, it is to protect the tub and equipment from the harsh oxidizer od bleach. Have you read over the entire dichlor/bleach method outlined in the forum? It is very helpful, along with all the other posts.

Chlorine is a salt, so i am guessing thats what you are seeing, such as if you splash ocean water on a glass and let the water evaporate, it leaves the salt.

How much chlorine you use depends on how many bathers, how long, what other contaminats may be in the water such as swimsuits, lotions, deoderants, hairspray ect. the outlines givin for how many ounces of bleach per bather hour is a estimate, each person will be different. You will learn with a bit of time, what your personal use will use so you can add the coreect amount after soaking and still have a reading the next day without creating to many CC's. Some people find it helpful to use MPS weekly to help oxidize the waste and keep the chlorine demand down. It looks like you are doing well now, if you added chlorine after getting out and brought it to 5, it dropped to 3.5, then you added a bit more than needed (thats if this was done after using the spa)

The CYA in the hot tub is not for the sun, it is to protect the tub and equipment from the harsh oxidizer od bleach. Have you read over the entire dichlor/bleach method outlined in the forum? It is very helpful, along with all the other posts.

Ah that makes sense.

I've read the D/B method and many other posts. I'm still trying to digest it all. :D its a little overwhelming being what the dealer says is required maintenance and what's recommended here. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I have always had a white powdery residue build up all over the top of the tub and in the cover. All I knew is that the water vapors were leaving "something" ...I just wipe it off from time to time. Good to know it's probably salt. I use Bromine, and fill from a water softener. I'd guess the water softener is leaving all that salt in my water. This might explain why I've never had dry, itchy skin (it's terrible when I use other people's spas). Should I be concerned about the salt eating away at the pumps or anything? I could maybe take the water somewhere to be tested.