Pool Deck - Pavers Over Concrete Or Crushed Rock

tim0476

I am going to have pavers put over my pool deck, and oh boy what a mixture of information.

First option is to have C&D Thin pavers placed right over the existing concrete slab, which is in good shape but has a decorative stain over it. There is all kinds of information on the internet that describes possible problems with paving over a concrete slab. Like heaving from freezing water, drainage, etc....

Second option, that seems to be preferred by professionals with a lot of paving experience, is to tear out the existing concrete deck and start from scratch. Preparing the substrate with crushed rock and sand, and using standard size pavers. Problem is, now I am having people tell me that will cause settling problems and weeds, and a concrete substrate will avoid that.

So, two different opinions out there. Anybody with experience who can chime in here?

Also, I have anchors for my pool cover. 2.5" in concrete. Since I might be using 1 1/4" pavers over concrete, can I still use the 2.5" anchor or do I have to go to the 18" rods. Contractor says I will be fine with the 2.5" anchor going through the paver and about 1" on the concrete. Man, this whole process is not easy!

Depending on how the concrete was initially done(thermal brake or direct pour) all has an effect on a final decision on the prep.Every contractor has different methods. Go to a paving stone wholesaler that doesnt do installs & ask what their preferred method would be. For pool decks I strongly recommend using polymeric sand instead of regular sand as weeds cant penetrate it and it doesnt wash away in the rain or blow into the pool.

If you install pavers over the existing concrete (which would be my choice), how will you handle the increased deck height?

If you have that worked out, then laying first a thin bed of gravel/sand/etc. on the concrete and then the pavers might give you the best characteristics of both types of installation...........I just can't figure out how you can deal with that elevation.

If you have a liner pool and don't have a canter levered deck, you would also need new coping and likely, a new liner if it's more than a couple years old (the liner would shrink when emptied).

The deck height issue is very valid. If you have a fiberglass pool, you really, really don't want to lose the concrete collar that provides additional weight and rigidity protection against pop-ups. Emptied shells are very buoyant.

The soil conditions below the deck need to be known as well as your geo. Different areas have different needs.

Scott

My main question right now is whether standard pavers with crush and run is what I should do vs. thin pavers

over the existing concrete deck. I know all the potential issues with thin pavers over existing concrete. Problem is there seems to be a big debate over which one is better. It seems the pavers professionals favor the crush and run using standard pavers. But the guys that do the thin pavers are telling me that I will hate the paver over crush and run after a few years. They are telling me if will settle and look like crap. Others have told me that the pool and the existing concrete deck has been down for 8 years now, so the ground has already done the settling it is going to do. No gurantees either way, I know.