Pump Size?

newpooler

If you do not have a spa and/or other water feature, then the smallest pump possible will be more than enough for your pool. In fact, a two speed might be the best option. A variable speed pump will give you the best efficiency but two speeds are not bad either. Two Speed recommendations in order of highest to lowest efficiency:

Hayward Super Pump SP2607X102S

Pentair SuperFlo SF-N2-3/4A

Sta-Rite SuperMax PHK2RAY6D-101L

Pentair Pinnacle PFII-P2-1A

Sta-Rite SuperMax PHK2RAY6E-102L

Pentair SuperFlo SF-N2-1A

Jandy Flo-Pro FHPM 1.5-2

Hayward Super Pump SP2610X152S

Pentair WFDS-24

If you have a spa, then that will dictate the pump size depending on the number of jets and type of jet you have.

Thanks Mark!

My second question is what's the safest way to drain the pool i.e. are main drains cover safe?

Thanks

Main drains are not used to drain the pool but to provide circulation. Current anti entrapment features make them safe. Do you need one? That is a hotly debated topic but IF (and this is an important IF) the pool circulation system is properly designed then the main drain can be eliminated. Is there an advantage to having one? Most definitely yes! IF the water level drops below the skimmer and there is no main drain then there is a very real possibility of the pump running dry and becoming damaged. With a main drain the water should continue to flow for a longer time and lessen the possibility of pump damage.

Thanks Waterbear,

That's great advice. This forum is ace. My 3rd question concerns the pool drain system picture from the how stuff works website. i'd like to know if this is a suitable system i.e. are there any flaws are recommendations before i use this for a 6,000 gallon pool. I was thinking maybe some type of salt chlorinator is needed in the circuit? anything else?

Thanks

Thanks Mark!

My second question is what's the safest way to drain the pool i.e. are main drains cover safe?

Thanks

Main drains are not used to drain the pool but to provide circulation. Current anti entrapment features make them safe. Do you need one? That is a hotly debated topic but IF (and this is an important IF) the pool circulation system is properly designed then the main drain can be eliminated. Is there an advantage to having one? Most definitely yes! IF the water level drops below the skimmer and there is no main drain then there is a very real possibility of the pump running dry and becoming damaged. With a main drain the water should continue to flow for a longer time and lessen the possibility of pump damage.