Ace Vs Chlormaker Vs Freshwater 3

armyguy

I just bought a used but in very good condition 2008 Limelight Flair with the wireless I-Cast stereo system for $3,000. It came with steps, cover, IQ2020 floating remote, and the sub panel. The guy also gave me some chemicals. I also just placed an order for the "Freshwater 3 CD Ozone system" which I will be installing myself, and from what I hear it is pretty easy to install. Now I am reconsidering the Freshwater 3 ozone.

I know I can't put the ACE system on a 2008 Limelight(not sure why because I don't know of anything that has changed in the 2010 model) but I am really liking what I see with the salt water setup. It seems like it has alot of pluses..the biggest one being the cheap cost of the salt.

I am thinking about selling the Freshwater 3 that is still in transit to my house and putting in the Chlormaker...

Here is the link to the product... http://www.controlomatic.com/chlormaker.html

Let me know what you think and your experiences if you have the product I am referring to.

All these view and nobody has any insight? How about the dealers that sell this stuff?

A friend has their Bromine generator that you toss in the tub he likes it but said he still has to test and add chemicals so he wouldn't buy it again knowing what he knows now.

He has a high use situation - 4 teenage kids daily use.

Having said that everyone that has the Ace system seems to like it. So for another $100 over the Freshwater III I'd take a gamble, but I like techie stuff and it's your money I gambling with. If you do it I want to know how it works because I might buy one too.

My biggest concern would be how long they last.

Dave

here is an interesting read on salt water pools/spa mostly pool focused. They mention using an ozonator with the chlorine generator.

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

All these view and nobody has any insight? How about the dealers that sell this stuff?

A friend has their Bromine generator that you toss in the tub he likes it but said he still has to test and add chemicals so he wouldn't buy it again knowing what he knows now.

He has a high use situation - 4 teenage kids daily use.

Having said that everyone that has the Ace system seems to like it. So for another $100 over the Freshwater III I'd take a gamble, but I like techie stuff and it's your money I gambling with. If you do it I want to know how it works because I might buy one too.

My biggest concern would be how long they last.

Dave

here is an interesting read on salt water pools/spa mostly pool focused. They mention using an ozonator with the chlorine generator.

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

I had a tub with bromine for the past 7 years and just ordered a 2011 Limelight with the Ace system. I wet tested the Ace system and it was great, they told me the reason that prior models to 4th quarter 2010 for the Limelight don't have Ace available is because the controller isn't set up for the salt and the internal components are somewhat different to be able to handle the salt system. I will have the tub in 2 weeks, can't wait! Good luck.

I had a tub with bromine for the past 7 years and just ordered a 2011 Limelight with the Ace system. I wet tested the Ace system and it was great, they told me the reason that prior models to 4th quarter 2010 for the Limelight don't have Ace available is because the controller isn't set up for the salt and the internal components are somewhat different to be able to handle the salt system. I will have the tub in 2 weeks, can't wait! Good luck.

this is correct, and just to clarify the ACE can be installed on any Hot Spring built on or after August 5, 2009 and on any Limelight built just after Aug. 2010

SCSPAUESER which Limelight did you end up with? and make sure to post some pics when you get it all setup :D

Poolspaguy30,

How do you think the Chlormaker and ACE differ? Since I cant get the ACE for my 2008, would I be better off with the Chlormaker or the Freshwater 3?

Thanks

their rep emails us on a consistent basis trying to get us to bring them in, but we already have 11 models than we can put the ACE system on, however I'm not against using the ChlorMaker as an option, but only on tubs that are out of warranty because installing 3rd party salt systems could void a lot of different manufacturers warranties.

The colochlor in my opinion is not an option, just because hanging the cell over the side of the tub, tap 5 times here, tap 3 times there is complete BS in my opinion, if its not integrated or plumbed inline I'm not going to sell it, period.

personally for the money I would love to try the Chlormaker for the simple fact I love the feel of salt water, but as far as reliability, performance, getting warranty if needed I cannot comment because I have never had any "real world" experience with any of these systems. If you do decide to go with it please keep us updated on your installation experience as well as overall performance, I as well as some would greatly appreciate that

this is correct, and just to clarify the ACE can be installed on any Hot Spring built on or after August 5, 2009 and on any Limelight built just after Aug. 2010

SCSPAUESER which Limelight did you end up with? and make sure to post some pics when you get it all setup :D

Ordered the Flair unit. Should be here March 7th. Will post pics once set up.

Very nice..mine is the 2008 Flair but same thing..Did you wet test yours before you bought it? I am having my backyard done in concrete as we speak and the electrician is coming out to do the 230V run so I should have mine up and running very soon. I will post pics and thoughts.

Oh yeah..and I ended up sending back the Freshwater 3. As soon as I get the refund(minus the 15% restocking fee...which is BS) I am going to get the Chlormaker installed by my local Hot Springs dealer who actually recommended and sell the product, which in my opinion says alot.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

I just searched for ChlorMaker on Google and this was one of the results. I am actually the designer of the ChlorMaker, ColorChlor, TechniChlor, MiniChlor and all of the water chemistry controllers that Pentair has as they bought my previous company Acu-Trol.

Tapping the ColorChlor 5 times for this and 3 times for that, I agree is BS on the operation side, but so easy to install without any modification to the spa balances out the BS part. The boost mode of the ColorChlor is something that an inline chlorine generator cant match.

On the warranty issue, Hot Springs is one of the first to allow a salt system on their spas (long story). The rest will follow because we all want a spa that is easy to take care of and know about salt pools. Sundance can be a problem, they really want to keep salt out of their spa for some reason.

Ordered the Flair unit. Should be here March 7th. Will post pics once set up.

Very nice..mine is the 2008 Flair but same thing..Did you wet test yours before you bought it? I am having my backyard done in concrete as we speak and the electrician is coming out to do the 230V run so I should have mine up and running very soon. I will post pics and thoughts.

Oh yeah..and I ended up sending back the Freshwater 3. As soon as I get the refund(minus the 15% restocking fee...which is BS) I am going to get the Chlormaker installed by my local Hot Springs dealer who actually recommended and sell the product, which in my opinion says alot.

I will let you all know how it turns out.