Marquis Spa Problem

pdxor

Yesterday, we drained and refilled our Marquis Promise. We have in-line bromine, with an ozonator. This morning we found light brown gunk in the filters, and in the bottom of the tub. We took a sample in a plastic bag, and there is no odor.

We drained after about eleven weeks, because we were having trouble balancing water chemistry. Last Wednesday Marquis analyzed a sample. Bromine at 5PPM. We recently added a solar blanket, and bromine has has been running from 5-10PPM. We've had this tub for three years and have had high bromine before. PH was 7.8 and Alkalinity 40. Because PH was running high and Alkalinity low, we opted to refill rather than try and balance it with Spa Up, etc. Hardness was 60. We are using City water, which is soft, and we have a chlorine and sediment filter at the main line.

We called Marquis and they said they'd never heard of such a thing, had no suggestions, and had no way to analyze the gunk. For lack of any better idea, we cleaned up the filters and the gunk in tub, and added new bromine/mineral cartridges . Bromine is now reading at 1 PPM, and we are in the process of bringing down the PH/Alkalinity.

Any insights would be appreciated, since we were unable to get any information from Marquis.

It could be iron in the water. I would try adding a a Metal B Gone type product and see if this helps. My town water has a high metal content and when i add chlorine it turns the water green as it oxidizes the iron in the water, but can leave a residue of brownish red at the water line or on the filter. I use this:

Metal Free

They make it for pools as well and I have had to use this for years with my pool because of the high metal content.

It could be a combination of things.body oils, lotions etc... also mixed with the high bromine and the high ph, you need to make sure the Calcium hardness is in ideal rnage ,, use calcium booster to get there,, That system with ozone should keep a 3-5 p.p.m of sanitizer... do you use a non chlorine shock once a week like Renew, our customers use this and have no problems......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Spa Savant and Spa Guy. We had a dark ring right after refilling, and Marquis recommended Metal B Gone if it continued. It did not! Also, we are pretty sure the gunk was body oils, lotion, etc. that got dislodged during the priming process. We've had no further problems of that nature, but Marquis recommended a flush next time we drain.

So you were both right! Thanks again!