Disappearing Salt

wettiger

New user, new pool/spa combo.

18000 gals, SWCG, Jandy Aquapure/Purelink 1400, gunite, 3 months old pool. South Louisiana, pool stays open throughout winter--we use heated spa during winter. Plaster cured about 30-45 days before added salt (pool builder handled startup). Been getting conflicting, confusing answers from pool builder, so asking you guys.

Understand that salt gets "recycled" from salt to ions and back to salt. Pool builder guys said that since salt gets recycled, only have to charge system to proper level (i.e., add salt) at beginning of season and then add very little salt during season because salt is recycled and does not leave pool (disregard splashout salt loss, etc. because right now (winter) pool is hardly getting used). So, with that background...

The Aquapure salt monitor seems to read that the salt levels drop quickly (in couple days), and has read out "low salt" or "add salt" several times. Pool seems to drop 300ppm every couple of days. Want to maintain 3000ppm (3.0grams/L). Been having to add 40lb bag salt once a week. Sure doesn't jibe with what pool builder said.

Is this usual, and then tapers off? What's up?

Thanks,

Jimmy

New user, new pool/spa combo.

18000 gals, SWCG, Jandy Aquapure/Purelink 1400, gunite, 3 months old pool. South Louisiana, pool stays open throughout winter--we use heated spa during winter. Plaster cured about 30-45 days before added salt (pool builder handled startup). Been getting conflicting, confusing answers from pool builder, so asking you guys.

Understand that salt gets "recycled" from salt to ions and back to salt. Pool builder guys said that since salt gets recycled, only have to charge system to proper level (i.e., add salt) at beginning of season and then add very little salt during season because salt is recycled and does not leave pool (disregard splashout salt loss, etc. because right now (winter) pool is hardly getting used). So, with that background...

The Aquapure salt monitor seems to read that the salt levels drop quickly (in couple days), and has read out "low salt" or "add salt" several times. Pool seems to drop 300ppm every couple of days. Want to maintain 3000ppm (3.0grams/L). Been having to add 40lb bag salt once a week. Sure doesn't jibe with what pool builder said.

Is this usual, and then tapers off? What's up?

Thanks,

Jimmy

When water temp drops conductivity drops and the salt readout will read low. Get a chemical test for chloride (Taylor makes one and Aquachek has strips) and double check that the salt level is actually dropping and it's not just a temperature effect.

The only way you will lose salt is by splashout, backwashing, or a leak. Is your CYA level dropping as well or staying constant? IF it is dropping then you are losing water.

Do you have an autofill? If so you might have a leak somewhere. Do you have a sand filter and if you do how often are you backwashing?

Thank you for the reply.

From reading several threads, I saw there were several very knowledgeable people on this forum, and you were one of them. Thank you for responding to my call.

Jandy 520 cartridge filter (all Jandy equip).

Have ordered a Taylor salt tester kit, as well as a Taylor K2006 kit.

Don't know CYA level yet, but think it is very low, maybe zero. Will test when get kits.

Have autofil. Pool water level appears to drop up to an inch per day (when leveller is shut off). I've never had a pool before, but I was surprised that the water level dropped that much per day. There are no visible leaks in observable areas (above ground). Pool builder air pressure-tested pipe system during construction. Don't know what is going on underground. Leaks possible underground??? I don't even want to think if that could be. How the heck to check (or fix) that?! As for as possible evaporative surface area, pool is about 14ft x 36ft; 3.5ft deep to 6 ft deep. About 10 x 10 ft spa in addition to pool. Two 24inch sheer descents and spa waterfall into pool. Again, water level drops up to an inch per day with leveler off. Winter, no one in pool, spa once or twice a week so minimal splash out.

Thank you for the reply.

From reading several threads, I saw there were several very knowledgeable people on this forum, and you were one of them. Thank you for responding to my call.

Jandy 520 cartridge filter (all Jandy equip).

Have ordered a Taylor salt tester kit, as well as a Taylor K2006 kit.

Don't know CYA level yet, but think it is very low, maybe zero. Will test when get kits.

Have autofil. Pool water level appears to drop up to an inch per day (when leveller is shut off). I've never had a pool before, but I was surprised that the water level dropped that much per day. There are no visible leaks in observable areas (above ground). Pool builder air pressure-tested pipe system during construction. Don't know what is going on underground. Leaks possible underground??? I don't even want to think if that could be. How the heck to check (or fix) that?! As for as possible evaporative surface area, pool is about 14ft x 36ft; 3.5ft deep to 6 ft deep. About 10 x 10 ft spa in addition to pool. Two 24inch sheer descents and spa waterfall into pool. Again, water level drops up to an inch per day with leveler off. Winter, no one in pool, spa once or twice a week so minimal splash out.

If you are not heating the pool right now then 1 inch a day seems excessive to me. Perhaps a bucket test is in order to see if you have a leak.

First turn off the autofill then place a (5 gallon size) bucket of pool water in the pool on the steps and have the water level in the bucket about the same as the pool's water level. The bucket should be between one half and three quarters full.

Mark the water level in the bucket with tape or a marker and also mark the water level in the pool on the tile with tape.

Wait about 3 days (and do not add any water to the pool) and check the water levels. Measure how much they have dropped in the pool and in the bucket.

If there is more than about a half inch difference between the water level drop in the pool and the water level drop in the bucket you have a leak somewhere. If there is no significant difference in the water levels your water loss is evaporation.

IF there is a leak repeat the bucket test with all fitration off for the duration of the test. If there is less water loss then you have a leak in the pressure side of the plumbing. If it is the same the leak could be anywhere in the pool or the suction side of the plumbing.

If you have any auxiliary pumps for water features, etc. it is a good idea to repeat the test with them off and the main pump on to further localize the leak.

IF there is a leak call the builder back but do not hold your breath if you have paid him in full. You might have to sue to get satisfaction. IF the builder is not responsive get a lawyer and call a leak detection company like American Leak Detectors.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Did bucket tests to determine that water was leaving pool much faster than was leaving bucket.

Reason salt level dropped so fast, so much, is that automatic water leveller was refilling lost salt water with fresh water, thus diluting salt.

Finally convinced pool builder that pool was indeed leaking, and I was going to retain final payment until fixed (as my right per contract).

They checked around, do some tests, and removed a fitting in pool, replastered around it, installed new fitting.

They pronounced it repaired. Please pay final payment.

Not so fast, says I, bucket test shows the water level in pool goes down 1/2 inch per day, instead of the previous 1 inch per day. At this time of year (winter), bucket water (bucket test) was dropping almost none per day.

They do some more tests, end up draining pool, replace and replaster all fittings in pool. Find a leak, I ask. Several, they say.

It has been about a week, and water level stable, not dropping (auto water leveller is turned off). Salt concentration is stable.

I breathe large sigh of relief that yard/pool does not have to get dug up. They are not getting paid until I'm sure it's fixed.

Many thanks to this forum for giving me the knowledge to use to convince pool builder. Looking forward to summer.