Used Spa Advice - 2008 Marquis Reward, 2007 Hs Vanguard

Dan W

Trying to get a spa and stay under $5K. Have been looking at the Costco Evolutions, and also looking at Craiglist for a newer model used on an higher end tub. Have found two used tubs that have caught my interest, a 2008 Marquis Reward and a 2007 HotSprings Vanguard. The asking for the 2008 Marquis is $3900, the asking for the Vanguard is $4500. I'd guess that assuming these two tubs are both in good shape, they should be of about equal used value? Anything I should know about one vs. the other? Any tips on what to look for when evaluating a used tub? My goal would be to offer about $3500 for the one I want and see what happens. All opinions, advice, etc. greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have any personal experience with those two specific hot tubs, but here's some advise for purchasing a used tub. Before you make any offer on any used hot tub, you should first be sure to at least see the tub filled with water and make sure you operate all the features to make sure they are working properly. Ideally, you should wet-test the hot tubs to see how they feel to you, but unless you know the Sellers personally and could trust their care and maintenance of the tub, I'm not sure I would trust the condition or sanitation of the water. If the Sellers are unwilling to fill the hot tub so you can see it in operation, I would walk away from the sale. Keep in mind, warranties do not transfer upon the sale. Warranties are only valid for the original purchaser/owner.

I also recommend you try to download a copy of the respective hot tub manuals so you can educate yourself somewhat on each tub and review the electrical hook-up requirements. Additional electrical installation costs will probably be necessary for whatever tub you purchase, but not all tubs require the same set up and you should be sure your electrical set up is appropriate for the tub. You should also check with local electrical codes to make sure you get the proper electrical installation. If your electrical installation does not meet the requirements of the specific tub, you'll need to factor that into the costs.

Of course, you also need to consider transportation and placement costs as well.

Good luck,

gman B)

Trying to get a spa and stay under $5K. Have been looking at the Costco Evolutions, and also looking at Craiglist for a newer model used on an higher end tub. Have found two used tubs that have caught my interest, a 2008 Marquis Reward and a 2007 HotSprings Vanguard. The asking for the 2008 Marquis is $3900, the asking for the Vanguard is $4500. I'd guess that assuming these two tubs are both in good shape, they should be of about equal used value? Anything I should know about one vs. the other? Any tips on what to look for when evaluating a used tub? My goal would be to offer about $3500 for the one I want and see what happens. All opinions, advice, etc. greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think you're looking at a couple good spas. Check both of them out as long as you know ahead of time both will be filled and fully up to temp before you get there. I think the $3500 you've mentioned is about right. See if you can get the subpanels with the spa to save yourself some $ on installation.