Winter Operating Temperature

unruly

I live in Columbus, Ohio and we are now entering our cold, doom and gloom season for the next few months.

Typically I use my hot tub that is on an outside deck 2-3 times a week. Last year I kept the temp set around 95 degrees and when I wanted to use it I'd have to wait until I upped the temp to 104 and the tub warmed up. Not so convenient for spur of the moment tubbing!

I am wonding which is more energy efficient...leaving it at 95 thru the winter and turning it up to 104 when I want to get in it OR just leaving it at 104 thru the winter?

I gotta believe I am already spending the bulk of my energy usage keeping it at 95... the additional six degree jump cannot cost that much more?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

!

I am wonding which is more energy efficient...leaving it at 95 thru the winter and turning it up to 104 when I want to get in it OR just leaving it at 104 thru the winter?

I gotta believe I am already spending the bulk of my energy usage keeping it at 95... the additional six degree jump cannot cost that much more?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

You're in a cold climate but if it is a well insulated spa there is little difference, assuming you use it a time or two per week. Even in the more severe winter climates like Minnesota, Maine or Canada, the difference should be little with a fully insualted spa and would not outweigh the convenince of being able to go in at a moment's notice IMO.

We are a little farther north in Ohio than you are and we have kept our tub at max temp all winter long for years. The energy savings by keeping it lowered to 95 is somewhat offset by the energy you consumed to get the tub up to 104 when you want to use it. I doubt your saving more than a couple of dollars a month by dialing your tub down when not in use. At any rate, during the winter there is only about a $16 dollar per month difference between keeping our tub up and running at 104 and not having it on at all. This is over a very long period of time (years) with different spas. Your method is taking that $16 and maybe reducing it to $14. Is the bother worth saving $12-$14 a year? The monthly savings would be less than the $2 in the warmer months. I like to set it and forget it and have it ready whenever I want to use it.

I'm in Barberton (Akron area) and will keep mine set at the temp for using - 104. Neighbor keeps laughing saying he can't wait to see my electric bill. Just got the used 01 Sumatran about a month ago, so this will be my first winter with it. I'm not worried. If it comes in too high - I'll just go outside and relax in a hot tub!! That's what it is there for, right?