Is It Ok To Leave A Newly-Constructed Pool Empty During The Winter In Canada?

propofol

We are just having a pool installed at our house. In-ground, in the backyard. We live in Ontario, Canada.

My pool builder's plan is to dig, install the metal sides, backfill with concrete, and then leave for the winter (without filling the pool with water). No liner would be inserted until the spring.

My question is: is this OK, or would there be a problem with shifting of the structure due to freezing water/ground around the pool, without the weight of the water within the pool to "keep it in place"? This is additionally concerning to me, since they encountered water at about 7 feet of digging.

I have no idea, but I thought I should ask another opinion to be safe.

Thanks!

wow! By metal I assume you mean rebar??? One risk with draining a pool is the level of ground water beneath the pool. In other words if you know there is ground water at 7 feet and your pool is say 8, then I would assume this would be a huge problem. there is a risk of "floating" the pool. This may only be 1" on one end or the other, but 1" out of level can be enough to void a skimmer, and your pool will look funny. As always... I'm in Dallas. I would consider this practice extremely uncommon, but our freeze depth is 4" (I know I think it's funny too!)

So long as it is left in the proper state there should be no real issues. The pool should have had a continuous concrete collar poured around the exterior base of the pool walls. Then the pool needs to be properly backfilled to prevent water/snow from accumulating in the over dig ( the 2-3' area around the perimeter). Lastly I would generally want to see gravel put all over the floor of the pool to reduce likelihood of erosion. I know your market area and this is done frequently in fact there is at least one builder in the Toronto area that actually builds steel wall vinyl liner pools all year long, however they wait to do the pool bottoms and liners until the winter is over. If you are in the Toronto market and want a second opinion I would contact Solda Pools, if they are the builder of your pool there is no need to worry at all!! If you want to check with another authority try contacting Kafko Manufacturing in Missasauga (sp?).