Mini Excavators

phil853

The space between my home and my neighbors is not very wide, it's about 9 feet. The inground pool we are thinking about having installed is 22' x 36'. The largest depth will be about 8 feet. How much space is needed for a mini excavator like a Bobcat or John Deere to fit through and will it be able to dig that size pool? Any input will be appreciated.

Your installer would be better qualified to answer this since they are more familiar with the specifics of your site. However, I think about 6-7' is the minimum witdth for a bobcat type machine. There may be extra charges related to this, depending on how much shuttling back & forth is required due to space constraints. Also make sure that you have your neighbor sign an agreement before they begin. There will be times that there property gets "touched", no matter how careful the excavators are.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Digging with a small machine is a real pain, in a previous life I helped dig pools and using a small CAT, Kubota or Deere hoe takes forever since your dipper is not long enough to dig without being in the hole. Moving the dirt with a skid is a tough one also since you will be making countless trips to the street to load your dump. It can be done, but be prepared to pay three to four times the cost of a dig when you can use a full size track hoe. Make sure your digger is fully insured also, since working close quarters can lead to damage to yours or your neighbors house.

Do you have neighbors on 2 sides. Have the contractor look into running a conveyor on one side of the house it will save some trips/time but may end up costing the same. Could take 2 machines one digging and one feeding the converyor, that is if you can convey directly into the truck.

• 3 months later...

I just put in a 18x30' Pool with spa. This is a courtyard home. The access 48" thru a walk through gate. We had a shuttle done with a mini bobcat and a similar machine with a long scoop to shuttle the dirt into a dumpster.

Total dig took about 4 days. The walkway to shuttle the soil out is 50' long. I know Home Depot rents one of these mini Bobcats however they got it elsewhere.

If you want more information please let me know.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

I have limited access to my backyard .. want a pool built and do not want to ask my neighbors if I can demolish a piece of the block wall that separates our properties… the only access I have to my backyard is 64”… is their a way to get a mini excavator through this access ?