Pool Motor Starting Capacitor

jaacked

Hi all,

I have a Dura-Glas Centrifugal Pump. Pump and motor was working fine until a couple days ago. Went outside and noticed the pool looked a little dirty. Upon further investigation the pump was not working. Found the breaker popped. I reset that and now the motor only hums when i turn it on. Ive cleaned the contacts on the starting switch. Im getting power to the motor. I think it might be the starting Capacitor but all the numbers on the capacitor have faded off. Does anyone know the correct Capacitor for this system.

I have the Dura-glas P2RA5E-124l.

Thanks

RAy

I think AO Smith provides that motor to Pentair/Sta-Rite and it should be motor number USQ1102.

You can try looking at this page: https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AO-SMITH-Pool-Pump-Motor-5PE32

Once there, if it looks like your motor, click on the link for repair parts and it shows a capacitor. I don't work for Grainger, but have bought stuff from them, very reputable - you might be able to find a reference you could use local.

BTW, I don't have one of these pumps to verify any of this - just trying to help - so keep in mind I'm not running out to the yard and double checking. Still, a starting cap is relatively cheap, so....

Had the same problem earlier this summer, i took out the old capacitor and looked up the rating on the sticker.

got a new one from grainger for about 12 bucks. it was the same rating but the dimensions were different, it is a little bigger than the old one and was kinda tough to make it fit.

After replacing, the pump ran like it always had.

I have also had another pump hum, but because there was debris lodged in there.

Make sure you de-energize the capacitor before touching the terminals on the top.

If you don't, you may get a nice shock. shut the breaker off, remove the plastic cap from the capacitor and touch a screw driver from one of the terminals to the metal body of the pump. This will get rid of any energy stored in the capacitor. Make sure you are only holding the plastic handle of the screw driver.

12$ is better than a couple hundred, definitely worth trying if the motor spins freely. Good luck

Thanks again for all the replies. The motor and pump spin freely and is not bound in anyway. I have talked to four different motor shops in my area and none knew the size of the capacitor. A couple said they would work on it but with the bench fee and parts the cost would not be worth it. The Capacitor from Grainger is a run Capacitor while i think i need a starting cap. I dont know if they are the same thing but will check it out.

I pulled a motor start capacitor from the back of an old 1.5 hp Dura-glas pump. The dimensions are about 23/4 inches long by about 17/16 inches in diameter. Here is the information from the capacitor:

Aero M

161-192 MFD (microfarads)

110VAC...... 60 Hz

610807-2

677-9247-01

Example

Note: The dimensions in this example are mislabeled. The inches are noted under the mm column.

I think that this capacitor should work for you. Any local place should have this in stock or an equivalent.

• 2 weeks later...