Is The Sundance Cd Ozinator Worth The Money?

allwet3d

New to the forum. Great information source!

About to purchase a new Sundance Cameo, and am trying to make the right decision on the tub's water purification and maintenance methodology.

Choosing between the dealer's suggested standard 3-step 'Baqua Spa' (sp?) treatment, or going with their CD Ozinator (also recommended).

Looking for the solution that will do the best job in keeping our annual water maintenance cost down, while at the same time, not having us have to 'manage' the tub water quality on an 'every time you turn around' basis. I don't mind keeping an eye on the water quality, but I don't want to make it an every day thing.

My wire has sensitive skin, so would also be interested if (for her skin) one of the above-mentioned maintenance programs would be better than another.

We live in a dry high desert climate. Temperatures up to 110 in the Summer, lows down to 25 in the Winter.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Stay away from Baqua (biguanide). It will drain your wallet and is not the best way to keep water sanitized. You will be replacing filters much more often and the hydrogen peroxide used as an oxidizer with biguanide system can be irritating to some people. For sensitive skin, believe it or not, a properly maintained chlorine spa is the way to go. Ozone can be used with chlorine (although, IMHO, it is better with bromine) but it is NOT a stand along sanitizer! You still need either chlorine or bromine with it.

As far as ozone generating systems go, CD is definitely worth the money over a UV ozone system. A well designed system should not have any residual ozone in the water, since ozone is toxic.

Sorry to say that if you are not willing to test and balance your water to maintain it properly then perhaps you should not buy a hot tub. Realize that the small amount of water creates a very high bather to water ratio so water maintenance becomes much more important than in a swimming pool. It is not a lot of work but you cannot do it once in a while.

Three step Bromine is more forgiving than chlorine but it still needs attention at least once or twice a week! Two step bromine and chorine are about the same amount of work and really require daily attention, as does Nature2/MPS. Bigaunide systems seem easy at first but down the road all types of problems like white water mold and pink slime (bacterial biofilms) tend to develop and are very difficult to remedy. Also, biquanide system like Baqua, SoftSoak, and Revacil are high profit items for your dealer!

No matter what sanitizer system you end up with invest in a GOOD test kit (Taylor K-2006 for chlorine or K-2106 for bromine). D0 NOT DEPEND ON STRIPS!. The test kit is probably the most crucial component for maintaining a spa with the least amount of work or money spent unnecessisarily!

Both Taylor and LaMotte also have kits for biguanide and peroxide which you would need in addition to the K-2006 or a K-2005 if you go with bigainde.

There are only four (count 'em, four!) EPA approved PRIMARY RESIDUAL sanitizers for spas:

Chlorine

Bromine

Silver/MPS with "as needed" chlorine shocking (Nature2, Silspa, and the OEM versions of Nature2)

Biguanide/peroxide (Baqua, SoftSoak, Revacil, and 'house brands of biguande)

EVERYTHING ELSE, INCLUDING OZONE, CHELATED COPPER (the "Blue" Products), UV, IONIZERS (with or without titanium or diamond electrodes that produce 'nascent oxygen'. 'free radicals'. and other such nonsense), ENZYMES, "PROPRIATARY MIXTURES THAT MAKE ALL SORTS OF FANTASTIC CLAIMS AND COST A LOT BUT DON'T LIST THEIR INGREDIENTS, etc. are NOT EPA APPROVED PRIMARY RESIDUAL SANITIZERS AND MUST BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ONE FOR SANITIZED WATER! Magnets, electronic "resonators, etc. are also snake oil!

Salt is not a sanitizer. So called salt spas are actually either chlorine or bromine that is generated by the electroylysis of salt and/or sodium bromide added to the spa water. Salt water chlorine/bromine generators are a proven technology with pools that have been around since the 60's but have not been that successful on spas. However, do not rule them out if you are prepared to keep tabs on your water balance, which is essential for their proper operation.

waterbear...I very much appreciate the time and effort in your response. Very complete and easy to understand.

You said that 'ozone can be used with either chlorine or bromine', with bromine being your preference.

I'm a little unclear on the differences between the two.

Why would one opt to use chlorine instead of bromine (or vice versa)?

Put another way...the advantages/disadvantages of chlorine are? For example, (as you said) better for sensitive skin tubbers. Any other advantages or drawbacks?

And the advantages/disadvantages of using bromine would be?

Thanks for any follow up advice!

waterbear...I very much appreciate the time and effort in your response. Very complete and easy to understand.

You said that 'ozone can be used with either chlorine or bromine', with bromine being your preference.

Put another way...the advantages/disadvantages of chlorine are? For example, (as you said) better for sensitive skin tubbers. Any other advantages or drawbacks?

In a nutshell, Bromine is a sensitizer as is MPS (which is the usual oxidizer for bromine) so it might be worse for someone with allergies. Chlorine can be used to oxidize bromine and is my preferred oxidizer (Laundry bleach).

Chlorine destroys ozone and vice versa but activates the bromide reserve in a bromine tub into bromine sanitizer. However, ozone does help destroy organics in the water in a chlorine tub and can help lessen the formation of combined chloramines so it can still be somewhat useful with chlorine. It does NOT lessen the amount of chlorine you need, you still have to maintain the same chlorine levels and in some cases more chlorine is actually needed to maintain those levels.

Chlorine and 2 step bromine (sodium bromide and an oxidizer) requires more frequent testing and adjusting, however, bromine is more forgiving. 3 step bromine (sodium bromide, oxidizer, bromine tablets in a floater) is the easiest to maintain and best if you are not going to be using the tub more than weekly or twice a week.

In a nutshell, Bromine is a sensitizer as is MPS (which is the usual oxidizer for bromine) so it might be worse for someone with allergies. Chlorine can be used to oxidize bromine and is my preferred oxidizer (Laundry bleach).

Chlorine destroys ozone and vice versa but activates the bromide reserve in a bromine tub into bromine sanitizer. However, ozone does help destroy organics in the water in a chlorine tub and can help lessen the formation of combined chloramines so it can still be somewhat useful with chlorine. It does NOT lessen the amount of chlorine you need, you still have to maintain the same chlorine levels and in some cases more chlorine is actually needed to maintain those levels.

Chlorine and 2 step bromine (sodium bromide and an oxidizer) requires more frequent testing and adjusting, however, bromine is more forgiving. 3 step bromine (sodium bromide, oxidizer, bromine tablets in a floater) is the easiest to maintain and best if you are not going to be using the tub more than weekly or twice a week.

• 1 month later...

About to purchase a new Sundance Cameo, and am trying to make the right decision on the tub's water purification and maintenance methodology.

Choosing between the dealer's suggested standard 3-step 'Baqua Spa' (sp?) treatment, or going with their CD Ozinator (also recommended).

Looking for the solution that will do the best job in keeping our annual water maintenance cost down, while at the same time, not having us have to 'manage' the tub water quality on an 'every time you turn around' basis. I don't mind keeping an eye on the water quality, but I don't want to make it an every day thing.

My wire has sensitive skin, so would also be interested if (for her skin) one of the above-mentioned maintenance programs would be better than another.

We live in a dry high desert climate. Temperatures up to 110 in the Summer, lows down to 25 in the Winter.

In the field a lot, and nothing against Bacqua because a LOT of customers are very happy with it. But, I know MORE customers who are happy using ozone (high output CD is best, like the one you refer to), a little chlorine, or non-chlorine shock, and lastly bromine have water that is crystal clear, safe, healthy, and affordable. Customers using Nature 2, FROG or Spa RX love their water the most. I don't work for them, I just listen to a LOT of customers, and see a lot of hot tubs out in the field.

Good luck, and happy hot tubbing!

Stay away from Bacqua. Ozone and chlorine or bromine works better in a sundance spa.