New Fiberglass Pool Crack

frostlich

:angry:

So, our new 18'x43' fiberglass pool was installed and final walkthrough was about 2 weeks ago. The permit isn't event closed yet due to a non self-closing gate issue (thats a different story.)

We haven't even used the pool once.

Today, while cleaning the pool, I noticed a crack at the bottom of the pool right beside the main drain. At first, I thought it may be dirt, but after running the brush along it my worst fears were confirmed. I could actually feel the texture of the crack in the handle of the extension pole while running over it with the brush!

The crack is about 1 foot long and a smaller one has started about 1 inch adjacent and parallel.

I called up the pool installer, they manufacture their own pools, and they asked me to check if it is leaking. I made some reference marks on the water level and will call back in the A.M.

Suffice it to say, I've soured a long time ago on expecting good business ethics from 95% of contractors, and expect this to go no differently.

I'm quite angry right now, but being a brand new pool owner I'm not sure what to expect. My thoughts are that being into this pool for ~$35k, and it being in the ground for a little over 30 days, the darn thing shouldn't crack in any way shape or form. I don't know that patching it is acceptable, in that if the pool cracked so early, it's just a symptom of a shotty install, and/or worse things to come.

So, a little feedback would help here. What is considered a "hairline" crack? What would be reasonable expectations for a newly installed pool? Is a patch on a crack so early in the pools life acceptable? What would be considered a reasonable resolution?(right now, I'm not feeling too reasonable).

Oh, and for the record....I DID NOT DRAIN THE POOL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='frostlich' date='Jan 3 2007, 01:54 PM' post='18551

:angry:

So, our new 18'x43' fiberglass pool was installed and final walkthrough was about 2 weeks ago. The permit isn't event closed yet due to a non self-closing gate issue (thats a different story.)

We haven't even used the pool once.

Today, while cleaning the pool, I noticed a crack at the bottom of the pool right beside the main drain. At first, I thought it may be dirt, but after running the brush along it my worst fears were confirmed. I could actually feel the texture of the crack in the handle of the extension pole while running over it with the brush!

The crack is about 1 foot long and a smaller one has started about 1 inch adjacent and parallel.

I called up the pool installer, they manufacture their own pools, and they asked me to check if it is leaking. I made some reference marks on the water level and will call back in the A.M.

Suffice it to say, I've soured a long time ago on expecting good business ethics from 95% of contractors, and expect this to go no differently.

I'm quite angry right now, but being a brand new pool owner I'm not sure what to expect. My thoughts are that being into this pool for ~$35k, and it being in the ground for a little over 30 days, the darn thing shouldn't crack in any way shape or form. I don't know that patching it is acceptable, in that if the pool cracked so early, it's just a symptom of a shotty install, and/or worse things to come.

So, a little feedback would help here. What is considered a "hairline" crack? What would be reasonable expectations for a newly installed pool? Is a patch on a crack so early in the pools life acceptable? What would be considered a reasonable resolution?(right now, I'm not feeling too reasonable).

Oh, and for the record....I DID NOT DRAIN THE POOL!!!

I'll take a shot at answering your concerns, hopefully the'll be of some help to you.

Each Fiberglass pools manufacturer is a little different from the other. As a general rule however, what

I have come to understand as a hairline crack is one that is superficial in nature, (meaning in the finish gelcoat only-not structural or entending all the way thouh your pool-therefore no water loss.

Cracks in Fiberglass can result from any variety of reasons. I would suspect its location to be resultant

from a common cause however. A swimming pool drain as you know has piping running to it. You as a homeowner and you alone can say exactly what was or was not done when they were installing it. A common cause stems from excessive pressure of dirt being pressed on the drain piping from an over

eager or over rushed heavy equipment operator. Dirt as a general principle should be throughly compacted by washing it in and around the pool.

As far as patching the pool, if it is done correctly- one should never see or be able to tell that it was ever there. I will advise though that the more elaborate the finish- the harder it is to exactly match it. Please keep in mind that during the initial pool making process, once a shell is removed from a mold it is examined for defects, and/or scratches and repaired in the same way before it ever comes to your jobsite.

They say that everybody has to input their two cents, so suffice it to say that here is mine.

• 1 year later...